Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   My boating season is over (long) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33051-my-boating-season-over-long.html)

26scarab 09-16-2002 07:26 AM

My boating season is over (long)

Saturday was the impromtu Port Huron fun run .
We ended up having 5 boats.
Well we were heading to the middle channel from the launch to meet one other boat and we all were running pretty hard (4800-5000 with and occasional 5700rpm ) and my boat was running great , oil pressure,water temp and oil temp was fine.
We see our buddy floating at the entrance to the channel so we stop, well at WOT I was running around 48lbs of oil pressure (normal for this motor) when I got off plane I see the oil pressure drop to 10lbs and the siren went off, so I shut the motor off look under the hatch and check the oil. Everything looked okay , there was plenty of oil and it was still clear (the motor has 4 hours on it since the rebuild) so I fire it back up , it still has 10lbs and nothing seems to be wrong, no noises or anything. I trust my gauges , oil pressure is a mechanical and the siren picks up at a different place so I'm positive that those readings are right.
I'm hoping it is just a problem with the pickup , but I doubt it the only other thing it could be would be a spun main bearing.
So I got towed the 5 or 6 miles back to the launch. NOT a good way to end the season.

Audiofn 09-16-2002 07:54 AM

Dude that totally sucks. Is there any chance that you just cooked the oil? Did you fire after you got back to the dock and see if the preasure was ok?

Jon

Lee 09-16-2002 08:04 AM

"So I got towed the 5 or 6 miles back to the launch"

It should read

"So we got towed the 5 or 6 miles back to the launch":cool:

Milord 09-16-2002 08:15 AM

Chuck that sucks dude. Hopefully it isn't anything too bad. You are making a strong case this last little while for me to leave me motors stock! :(

Advantage_Rob 09-16-2002 08:22 AM

Hey Chuck, lets hope its another quick fix!! I saw you saturday on I-94, by north river rd. I was going to metro towing my boat, and I'm guessing you were going to selfridge towing yours. Just wondering iof you was me or not.

James, Stock is good!!

BoatChic 09-16-2002 08:44 AM

Chuck, Sorry to hear that.

By the way...The moot was good on Saturday!

26scarab 09-16-2002 08:51 AM

Sorry Lee ,
Your right it should read "we"!:)

The oil temp never went over 160 so it wasn't that and yes I did restart it ..still low pressure

James,
I've seen plenty of stock motors blow up too, How do you think Lenny makes a living:D

yes I saw you Rob, I'm surprised you launch at Metro instead of somewhere closer to your house

Boatchic,
Thanks for reminding my about the Bay:rolleyes:
Lee and I did catch a pretty good buzz on the tow back to the launch:D

hoodlum 09-16-2002 09:03 AM

That's no way to end the season!

Still sorry we missed the outing though.
The idle back would've probably been a good "get to know ya over a few beers" type thing.

Good luck with the motor.

Ron P 09-16-2002 09:22 AM

Better to end this season that start next year at the end of a rope.

boot 09-16-2002 09:53 AM

sorry to hear that !! HOpe it works out OK for you .