Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ever heard of the Harbor & Navigation code.....Loud exhaust?? >

Ever heard of the Harbor & Navigation code.....Loud exhaust??

Notices

Ever heard of the Harbor & Navigation code.....Loud exhaust??

Old 09-12-2002, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 2,832 Likes on 951 Posts
Thumbs down Ever heard of the Harbor & Navigation code.....Loud exhaust??

Look what I stumbled across. Thought some of you might be interested in this. This is for California but from what I've read, it sounds like ALOT (most/all) states have the same type of law.

HN§ 654. Exhaust
The exhaust of every internal combustion engine used on any motorized recreational vessel shall be effectively muffled at all times to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and as may be necessary to comply with Section 654.05.

This section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels competing under a local public entity or United States Coast Guard permit in a regatta, in a boat race, while on trial runs, or while on official trials for speed records during the time and in the designated area authorized by the permit. In addition, this section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels preparing for a race or regatta if authorized by a permit issued by the local entity having jurisdiction over the area where the preparations occur.
Am 1997 Ch. 666

HN§ 654.05. Noise Levels-Engine
(a) No person shall operate any motorized recreational vessel in or upon the inland waters of this state in a manner that exceeds the following noise levels:
(1) For engines manufactured before January 1, 1976, a noise level of 86 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
(2) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1976, and before January 1, 1978, a noise level of 84 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
(3) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1978, a noise level of 82 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
(b) Testing procedures employed to determine noise levels shall be in accordance with the Exterior Sound Level Measurement Procedure For Pleasure Motorboats of the Society of Automotive Engineers in its recommended practice designated SAE J34. The department may, by regulation, revise the measurement procedure when deemed necessary to adjust to advances in technology.
(c) This section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels competing under a local public entity or United States Coast Guard permit in a regatta, in a boat race, while on trial runs, or while on official trials for speed records during the time and in the designated area authorized by the permit. In addition, this section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels preparing for a race or regatta if authorized by a permit issued by the local entity having jurisdiction over the area where the preparations occur.

Just to let you know, a stock honda exhaust puts out about 75 dbs!! You are basically screwed if you have through hull exhaust! Unless you quote HN§ 654.05. sub section (c) and tell whoever pulls you over you are on a "trail run" Might just get you out of at least 1 ticket!

Tank
Old 09-12-2002, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tank, I would say a SCOPE lunch run can be called a regatta

Please excuse the noise officer, but I am conducting a test and heading out for some speed trials...oh don't mind the noise, I am excluded during these test's

Old 09-12-2002, 06:46 PM
Registered

EXACTLY!!!!
Old 09-12-2002, 06:58 PM
Registered

Great info guys...

Yet another reason to participate in SCOPE lunch runs...
Old 09-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys ever wonder why Lial, and D-man hve all them stickers

Guess he is smarter then the average bear!!!
Old 09-12-2002, 10:31 PM
Tom
Registered

Default What SCOPE lunch runs?

I am interested in lunch runs. Can anyone tell me where and when?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-12-2002, 10:35 PM
Registered

Tom,

SCOPE does a bunch of improptu (spelling?) lunch runs besides the regular planned runs. Ron (Dman) posted info on a run to the Long beach Yardhouse from Newport this Saturday. You can pretty much just say when you're going to be boating in that area and find someone to go with!
Old 09-12-2002, 11:37 PM
Tom
Registered

Sorry I can't figure it out. I searched for Dman and saw all his posts, but none about going for a ride. Is there another site or something? Who is SCOPE?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-12-2002, 11:49 PM
Registered

Originally posted by BADA BING
Hey Tank, I would say a SCOPE lunch run can be called a regatta

Please excuse the noise officer, but I am conducting a test and heading out for some speed trials...oh don't mind the noise, I am excluded during these test's

Unfortunately, you will then be promptly requested to produce the municipally issued permit.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:52 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Tom
Sorry I can't figure it out. I searched for Dman and saw all his posts, but none about going for a ride. Is there another site or something? Who is SCOPE?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom........this is the thread.

CLICK HERE

SCOPE is a powerboating club in SoCal. Here is the address: www.SCOPEinfo.com

Quick Reply: Ever heard of the Harbor & Navigation code.....Loud exhaust??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.