Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Engine Hoist (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33100-engine-hoist.html)

JON242 09-16-2002 04:06 PM

Engine Hoist

I usually end up pulling my engine a couple times a year and it's about that time again. I'm tired of towing the boat to my friends shop to use his forklift, putting the motor in my truck, taking it home, lifting it out with a small hoist to put it on the stand etc. I'd like to build something to use in my driveway. I'm thinking of some A frame contraption like a big swingset that I'd be able to disassemble for storage. It would probably have to be about 10 feet tall. Any of you guys do anything like this?

Audiofn 09-16-2002 04:09 PM

Some one made pictures of one that they made. I think it was in the Tech Q+A area.

Jon

mfb357 09-16-2002 04:13 PM

Jon, Go to your local equipment rental shop and rent a A frame gantry system. Goes together very easily. You will need a horizontal beam of aruond 12 feet long to stratle boat and sit properly on vertical legs. Daily rental rates are around $250/day. A 4" I beam will carry the load of an engine assembly on a center pick. To get engine to clear boat you will need legs to be 10 high. Good luck, Mark

pachangalpina 09-16-2002 04:22 PM

Check with Tonto. I believe he made one about a year ago. I am not sure if he posted the const. at that time or not.

Todd

mopower 09-16-2002 04:22 PM

At $250. a day It's cheaper to build your own. If it were your own all would go easy. Rented , you KNOW you'll have problems and need it an extra day or two:mad: .
Hey Jon , how's the prop or engine coupler ....either bad or did you snag something:confused: :confused:

NASTY HABIT 09-16-2002 06:41 PM

I built a nice break down rolling hoist ....I'll take a picture of it tomm...adjust. hieght too....really simple and to date has picked 3200 lbs...

formula31 09-16-2002 07:02 PM

Ill post some pictures of mine tomorow. Made from 4" beam and 2" threaded pipe and some 2x4's.

JON242 09-19-2002 07:50 AM

Nasty & Formula31,
Just a reminder to post a pic when you can. Thanks.

Budman 09-19-2002 08:08 AM

Pictures posted earlier...

I think it was board member JR (Jeff) who posted pictures of one that he made from 4X6 beams, I think. He used a chain hoist to actually move the engine. We used a chain hoist to lift my friend's engine off the mounts for Y-pipe installation. He used a 6x6 beam across several ceiling joists to spread the load. Worked fine.

Mike J 09-19-2002 10:22 AM

Check the clearance for the motor to clear the
transom, Mine is on wheels
and knocks down its 13ft
and has 3ft extensions for
Cat motors 16ft and then I still have to lower the transom by Jacking up the
front of the trailer.
Mike J.