Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would love to hear what some of you are doing with your cash pile to make money >

Would love to hear what some of you are doing with your cash pile to make money

Notices

Old 09-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off the beat path here... But was wondering what some of you are doing to make money on your money. With the stock market and the idiot in charge who is feeling the stock market is the place to be anymore? With it being flat all year and a new election coming up next year do you think its going to continue to be flat or down? I have been considering real estate in Florida but it has gone through the roof in the last 12 months. Rental properties seem to be selling for a much lower cap rate. I have been considering trailer parks at a higher cap but honestly don't know the headaches that come with them. Not looking to add to my current employee's stresses government requirements... LOL... Looking for something long term that has cash flow. With lower level of stress and liabilities.

So, I would love to hear what you are doing and why. If, you have worked with a broker that has pointed you in a great direction would love to hear about this as well. Also, feel free to PM as well if you would like to keep it private. Thanks Chris
Old 09-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I need a franchisee in OH, think about opening a business!
Old 09-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTECH-ANGLER
Off the beat path here... But was wondering what some of you are doing to make money on your money. With the stock market and the idiot in charge who is feeling the stock market is the place to be anymore? With it being flat all year and a new election coming up next year do you think its going to continue to be flat or down? I have been considering real estate in Florida but it has gone through the roof in the last 12 months. Rental properties seem to be selling for a much lower cap rate. I have been considering trailer parks at a higher cap but honestly don't know the headaches that come with them. Not looking to add to my current employee's stresses government requirements... LOL... Looking for something long term that has cash flow. With lower level of stress and liabilities.

So, I would love to hear what you are doing and why. If, you have worked with a broker that has pointed you in a great direction would love to hear about this as well. Also, feel free to PM as well if you would like to keep it private. Thanks Chris
Tried to PM, box is full
Old 09-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Registered

Try again box is not full?
Old 09-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

Although the bulk of my income all my life has come from the stock market. I'm now keeping it simple. We have a deal here called guaranteed investment certificates, the principal is not at risk at all. The drawback they only return a max of $100k. Second vehicle is a term deposit. With my credit union the principal is 100% insured. With low interest rates the best they will do is 2.10% annually. These are zero risk, low returns, but safe. This isn't income for me per say, its more sitting on cash and might as well get something while it sits.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by iamjoe
Tried to PM, box is full
I have him on speed dial Joe.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:15 PM
Registered

The time to buy the market is when others a fearful. Exxon XOM is down almost 30% from it's 52 week high and pays a dividend of almost 4% to wait for the recovery. ATT T has been trading in a zone of 32 to 36 a share and pays over 5 3/4% dividend a good place to park cash. The mreits have been crushed in the past couple of years but in my opinion Annally NLY is a buy the dividend is over 13%. There are deals to be had if you take the time to research and monitor your investments. If you don't have the time average your buys into a fund the mimics the SP 500. I rarely buy stock directly i will sell an ATM put getting a discount to today's price and offers some downward protection.I sometimes hedge my longer term stocks by buying VIX puts.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerplayDave
The time to buy the market is when others a fearful. Exxon XOM is down almost 30% from it's 52 week high and pays a dividend of almost 4% to wait for the recovery. ATT T has been trading in a zone of 32 to 36 a share and pays over 5 3/4% dividend a good place to park cash. The mreits have been crushed in the past couple of years but in my opinion Annally NLY is a buy the dividend is over 13%. There are deals to be had if you take the time to research and monitor your investments. If you don't have the time average your buys into a fund the mimics the SP 500. I rarely buy stock directly i will sell an ATM put getting a discount to today's price and offers some downward protection.I sometimes hedge my longer term stocks by buying VIX puts.
VW stock got crushed this week with the emissions scandal but it popped back 5% today.....

then there is always: http://www.powerball.com/pb_home.asp
Old 09-24-2015, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

I dislike financial markets as there is just too much manipulation and the market has already reacted before "normal guys" hear any news. Single national tenant commercial is great, but 4 caps are tough, no matter how you slice it. It is especially bad when you have to commit for 10, 15, or 20 years. At least now some are doing "bumps" every 5. Best ones are on hard corners. Check out Loopnet and you will find plenty of examples.

Private mortgages are nice. Just make certain that you have at least 40% equity going in. A 5 year, interest only contract at 7% with a $25,000 "lending fee" will get you 10% return. A guy can have up to 4 of these without having to meet all of the typical lender litmus tests. It allows a great return, while only tying up your cash for 5 years. Ask your banker. I bet that they have some 5 year balloons coming due that the new lending regulations make it tough for them to lend on. They would love to have them paid off cleanly. There are a bunch of self employed people where typical loans are difficult now.

If I had cash that I did not need a return today on, I would look to buy dirt. Buy on the best corner possible and sit on it. When CAP rates rise in a handful of years, you would be positioned well, especially if you did the buildout and leased back. Since you would be holding for 5-10, you can buy cheaper dirt on the outskirts (once again, hard corners are the best) and let the development come to you.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Slow and steady wins the race.
I continue to park mine in good growth stock mutual funds. ...and plan to retire in 5 years (at age 50) then pick up a low key part time gig to keep the lights on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.