Coast Guard said LifeLine not good enough

Notices

Coast Guard said LifeLine not good enough

Old 09-16-2002, 07:41 PM
Tom
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coast Guard said LifeLine not good enough

I was out in San Diego Bay yesterday and got a ride in my first Cat, actually two of them. The driver went to close to a tanker and got pulled over by the coast guard. There were five of us and he pulled out two junky ski vests and two of those crappy orange things. The fifth one was a lifeline jacket in in a bag and the Coast Gaurd gave him a ticket. Said the LifeLine is not certified. I always wear mine and same with my passenger, but now do I have to carry some piece of **** just to keep them happy? Is it safe to assume that with helmets, five point harnesss, canopy and Lifeline jackets on they would not even ask?
Old 09-16-2002, 08:26 PM
Registered

I have never had a problem with my Lifelines before, but I have only been checked in Havasu by the local cops. I new that the Lifelines were not certified by the Coast Guard, but I always assumed that they could see they were much better than what is required. I guess you ran into an a$$hole. I can't believe they would ticket you for that. I always carry about 10 jackets on board anyways so I guess I am covered.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:42 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup we carry the life lines for ourselves and two POS for the coast guard when I raced. Seems stupid. If I am sinking I can tell ya what. I am not taking off the life line to put on the "aproved" jacket!!!

Jon
Old 09-16-2002, 08:56 PM
Registered

just make them happy, end of the season a orange one will be 4.99 at meijer. wear the lifeline and just keep the others stowed away.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, unfortunately even though it is a superior product, it does not carry the seal of approval.....That's all they are looking for.

I bought my "orange" life preservers at K-mart for 3.99 each. They have the USCG stamp so that's all that matters.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:30 AM
Registered

We're the same. I got pullerd over by the local MP a few weeks ago and showed them the Lifelines. I knew they weren't CG approved, he didn't check. I think he could tell they were high qulaity. He was more interested in the Type IV (throwable). We have a bunch of the orange ones if anyone checks. Only thing is, I know people who have were written up because the weren't "accessable".

Not sure why the Lifelines aren't certified.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:38 AM
turbo2256

It costs a lot of money to certify them do you want to pay more fore that jacket.