Notices

Cargo ship sinks.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:30 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
In an Apache, the cargo is on the inside!

The name of the lost ship is the El Faro. It supposedly sunk in 15000 ft of water (I didn't think it was that deep off the Bahamas). The ship lost propulsion and power just before the storm and was listing at 15 degrees........then it got hit with 50 ft waves and 140 mph winds. The life boats were an older "open style" vs. the newer enclosed ones. One body was recovered in a "abandon ship survival suit" but they were unrecognizable.

Ironically, one of the 33 aboard was on his first trip as a deckhand. 33 lives lost, 2 of which were woman.
Very sad loss of life.

It is amazing and disturbing that they had such old safety technology on an American vessel. I boat on the Houston ship channel often and cant remember the last time I saw open lifeboats on a commercial ship.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not trying to sound gross or anything like that but I wonder what or how the body they found in the suit is unrecognizable.there was some talk that area was shark infested,or did the wreck mess the body up.just wondering.i have been following this story on g-captian.its really sad.god bless those poor souls.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

They said the ship changed its coarse and drove directly into the storm. It was at full power, which is 20mph. Not sure what the captain was thinking, RIP to all the crew
Old 10-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
They said the ship changed its coarse and drove directly into the storm. It was at full power, which is 20mph. Not sure what the captain was thinking, RIP to all the crew
Everything I read said the ship lost all power and propulsion on 9/30.... Basically was a sitting duck when the storm hit them.

Got a link for the "full power aiming at the storm?"
Old 10-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bcfountain
not trying to sound gross or anything like that but I wonder what or how the body they found in the suit is unrecognizable.there was some talk that area was shark infested,or did the wreck mess the body up.just wondering.i have been following this story on g-captian.its really sad.god bless those poor souls.
I suspect it was blunt trauma......put on the suit, get bounced around a steel ship like a rag doll and your dead before you hit the water.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terrible decision by someone. The way I understand it the ship lost power, began to take on water/list, turned broadside to the waves, and that's all she wrote.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Registered

Doomed cargo ship reportedly left normal course, sailed into the track of Hurricane Joaquin
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/09...ack-hurricane/
According to this story the ship was still traveling at full power on oct 1, and was 50 miles from the storm.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
Doomed cargo ship reportedly left normal course, sailed into the track of Hurricane Joaquin
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/09...ack-hurricane/
According to this story the ship was still traveling at full power on oct 1, and was 50 miles from the storm.
2nd paragraph:
Thursday's report by Reuters used tracking data to establish the U.S.-flagged vessel's path in its final hours. The data uses a ship's satellite transmissions to track its location and speed. The ship was last heard from early on the morning of Oct. 1 after its captain, Michael Davidson, reported that he had lost engine propulsion, was taking on water, and was listing. No reason was given for the loss of power.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Registered

I suspect he was trying to outrun the storm......engine died, no viable plan b.......game over.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
2nd paragraph:
Thursday's report by Reuters used tracking data to establish the U.S.-flagged vessel's path in its final hours. The data uses a ship's satellite transmissions to track its location and speed. The ship was last heard from early on the morning of Oct. 1 after its captain, Michael Davidson, reported that he had lost engine propulsion, was taking on water, and was listing. No reason was given for the loss of power.
Yeah I get that part, this is the part I don't, 5 th paragraph
"I don't know what he was thinking. I can’t even speculate," Klaus Luhta of the International Organization of Masters, Mates, and Pilots told Reuters. "He headed right into the track."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.