1350 Merc - how many houres? >

1350 Merc - how many houres?

Notices

1350 Merc - how many houres?

Old 11-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1350 Merc - how many houres?

Hi. I am curious to know some more about the possible long life of a 1.350 HP. Mercury....

Merc say 200 houres before rebuild. From my understanding, an overhead camshaft engine will take high revs alot better than a push rod engine with rocker arms. That means less boost with the same horse power. Turbos = less energy needed to overpressure the engine = less heat. Merc have invested huge money in the development of this engine. And they last longer (thankfully!). 1075s ran usually about 100-180 houres between rebuilds which earned them money. That was cheaper to develop of obvious reasons. 1.350 is a lot of horsepower and one rarely use all of them. If we see the parallell to cars with similar engine set up (Maserati, Audi and Mercedes+++ all have four camshafts, small pistons which push the valves up and down with shims in between, and turbos. There engines usually run 100-200.000 miles without much more than oil changes even when used at German Autobahns. In other words thousands of houres (with thousands of start ups during cold winters too).

Have anyone ran their 1100/1350/1650 untill they REALLY need to be rebuild?? In a normal Powerboat which is used like a fast daycruiser and sometimes for poker runs, the time of having wide open throttle is minimal. Lots of the houres are idling too which can not wear much at all. What goes wrong and how can you feel it? To me, these engines seen to last a very long time (they also have closed cooling which is a big benefit), and I wonder if Mercury on purpouse rebuild them too early just to be sure. How many houres can the run when driven softly?

Thanks for input on this one!

Erik

Last edited by Yamaha 225; 11-06-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Have a set of 1100's in a Cigarette 42X - been told non-race hour rebuild is 300 - 400 hours or more (Directly from Top Leadership at Mercury Racing). Best part, they run on 89 octane.

I've owned had many sets of Mercury Racing products the QCV4 engines are a game changer.

Do yourself a favor and ride in a boat with QCV4 power.

Last edited by 39 Unlimited; 11-07-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have loved to had taken a ride in yours Gary, problem is you did ask when you were right here on Lanier, LOL. Hope you are doing well, see you next year.