Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying a boat in Canada and bringing back to USA....what do I need to know? >

Buying a boat in Canada and bringing back to USA....what do I need to know?

Notices

Buying a boat in Canada and bringing back to USA....what do I need to know?

Old 11-08-2015, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
I don't believe there is any duty bringing a boat into the states
Duty is typically applied to goods that are made in Canada (fabrique du Canada) and brought into the US. Should not apply to a US made product being brought back into the country of origin.

Last edited by offshore312; 11-08-2015 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-2015, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I used Mike Jones (Jones & Jones??) who took care of everything. If I recall it was $750-$1,000 and it was the best money I spent not having to worry about it. He makes sure everything is in order and stamped to make the crossing seamless.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

If the boat was US built there are no duties.
if there are no engines in the boat there is no paperwork at the border... otherwise there is one form to fill out. state sales tax is charges at time of registering boat and trailer. Just be sure to have all titles/licenses and a bill of sale for both trailer and boat.
Personally I would not give a broker 1000 bucks to fill out 1 form if it is going in your personal name -- if it's going into a business there might be other things to consider.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
I don't believe there is any duty bringing a boat into the states
Didn't have to worry about duties because when I did it was part of my move. I had an exemption from duties for cars, boats, etc. its a little different when its moving into the states from Canada. Had to do an EPA document and a DOT thing for the trailer. I needed the border paper work along with the title to register them in Washington State.

FYI on boats and cars. Right now with the exchange rates, some good deals in Canada. Most European cars sold in Canada conform to EPA and DOT standards. Say you want a Lamborghini Gallardo. All you need is a letter from Lamborghini saying the car meets EPA and DOT. After that its really easy to import into the U.S.

Last edited by Canuck B Crazy; 11-09-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the post , would it not be easier to have the boat, truck , etc. brought to the American side of the border and exchange titles and money ?
Old 11-09-2015, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

You will need to get the form stamped at the border regardless who is driving it across...
Old 11-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Formulabill
After reading the post , would it not be easier to have the boat, truck , etc. brought to the American side of the border and exchange titles and money ?
You need the document that the boat cleared customs to register it.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

If the boat and trailer were made in the US that's considered US goods returned and no duty. NAFTA also comes into play so a Canadian built boat may be duty free also. Use the below link and call the CBP Port of Entry where you plan on entering the US and get the straight scoop. You can do all the paperwork yourself just have it all in line before you go. Usually its the state you reside in that wants to see the boat/trailer was properly cleared through Customs for sales tax and registration purposes. Good luck.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...-before-you-go

Last edited by Ing; 11-09-2015 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling