Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Don't steal a 13 Whaler in Key West and flee to Cuba! >

Don't steal a 13 Whaler in Key West and flee to Cuba!

Notices

Don't steal a 13 Whaler in Key West and flee to Cuba!

Old 11-11-2015, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts
Default Don't steal a 13 Whaler in Key West and flee to Cuba!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nat...110-story.html

In something of a reversal of the U.S. 'wet foot, dry foot' immigration policy, a 38-year-old man is accused of stealing a boat in Key West and fleeing to Cuba where he was taken into custody.

Shawn Michael Luskey entered Havana Harbor about 5 p.m. on Oct. 31 aboard a white, 13-foot Boston Whaler that was reported stolen from a slip at Murray Marine on Stock Island, according to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.

Surveillance video shows a man wearing a full wet suit at the marina about 10:42 p.m. trying to open the locked doors on several ice storage coolers.

He walks off camera but a short time later the stolen Boston Whaler is seen leaving its slip and heading northeast. The boat's owner reported the theft and admitted to leaving his keys in the ignition, investigators said.

Luskey, of Frankfort, Ind., was caught by Cuban border guards who called the U.S. Coast Guard. Cuban authorities also sent photographs of the stolen boat and Luskey, the Sheriff's Office said.

Luskey was being detained until he can be returned to Monroe County to face criminal charges, officials said. The charges include grand theft with a bond set at $45,000, sherfiff's officials said.

Boat taken from Keys seen in Havana. Cases of U.S. citizens trying to smuggle themselves into Cuba are unusual but not unprecedented.

"Let's say it has happened before. Not frequently, but it has happened," said Becky Herrin, spokeswoman for the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.

Thousands of American tourists visit Cuba each year in violation of the U.S. embargo, but rarely is anyone caught or prosecuted.

Untold numbers of American fugitives also run to Cuba to evade prosecution for crimes ranging from Medicare fraud to murder. U.S. and Cuban diplomats are preparing for talks on law enforcement cooperation, including the return of fugitives who are holed up in Cuba.

Records show a Shawn Michael Wegmann Luskey has pleaded guilty to driving with a suspended and revoked license in Wisconsin and Iowa where he was ruled a habitual [traffic] offender.

Iowa's Muscatine Journal reported in April that Luskey was arrested for possessing a boat, trailer, motorcycle and lawnmower that he admitted may have been stolen, authorities said.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I can't say as I blame him. This country is going to shlt; and that's a cheap and easy path to another land that won't kick you out.
Damn, now we have to move to the Politics Forum.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I can't say as I blame him. This country is going to shlt; and that's a cheap and easy path to another land that won't kick you out.
Damn, now we have to move to the Politics Forum.
For the record......he got kicked out of Cuba!

Bond set at 45K is no joke for stealing a 5K boat!
Old 11-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those Mercury outboards are reliable
Old 11-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

I guess the guy didn't hear the big Apache ran across alot faster earlier this year. Too bad - no record , no fame (unless Darwin coms a'calling) and not likely to post the $45K...
Old 11-11-2015, 07:38 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
For the record......he got kicked out of Cuba!

Bond set at 45K is no joke for stealing a 5K boat!
Once past the 12 mile mark it becomes a Federal matter.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
I guess the guy didn't hear the big Apache ran across alot faster earlier this year. Too bad - no record , no fame (unless Darwin coms a'calling) and not likely to post the $45K...
If the guy was a petty thief.......the racers/poker run teams are going to be thankful he is sitting in jail this week!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Good observation!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He must have been Jonesing for a good Cigar...

Last edited by Flightplan; 11-12-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Those Mercury outboards are reliable
A 13' Whaler is an awesome little boat, at least he choose the wisely in a boat brand to steal, at least it wouldn't sink no matter what, I give him props (credit) for that. Now for fleeing to Cuba, it is bad when Cuba kicks your ass out their country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.