Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Challenger Boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33259-challenger-boats.html)

EX20 09-18-2002 04:21 PM

Challenger Boats

Any opinions on these offshore boats? The website is cool. Seems they bought up alot of Mariah's molds to add to their own. 94ft megayacht too. Talk about covering the various markets!

http://www.challengeroffshore.com/

cigarette1 09-18-2002 04:52 PM

Weird ... the boat on the Home Page looks like an Arronow/Magic Vodoo and it is not one of the boats listed in the product line :confused:

EX20 09-19-2002 04:04 PM

These guys claim that Don Aronow had something to do with some of their hulls.

FRANKIEFRANKIE 09-19-2002 05:20 PM

Challanger

I know one thing about them, I rode in their 33' DDC with twin 425's Mercursiers with blackhawk drives, it ran gps 86MPH. However, the drives did not hold up so now, I have one on order with Pulse Drives. The trimmable surface drives with the five year warranty.

Steve 1 09-19-2002 05:34 PM

Frankie
Smart Move ! Also Pulse has a Housing/Cover so you do not need to add anything else, like an expensive dive platform to keep people from being “Blended” That and In House Propellers make it very attractive!
:)

BJM 09-19-2002 05:39 PM

Team Deranged runs a 28 in P-4 in APBA. Daytona was the first race for this boat and it almost sank on the first lap. They just received a new boat that they brought to Texas and had mechanical problems. During the parade lap in Daytona they were right next to us and the boat looked very good running in the big water of Daytona. The boat started to fall apart on the first lap and they had to high tail it back to the ramp. There new boat is suppose to be built much better, we shall see. You can see a picture of there newboat on their web site.

Sean 09-19-2002 05:44 PM

Those are built from the Aronow Powerboats molds...I believe there was a 34, a 39 and a 47 foot model. A couple of the molds ended up at Magic/Sleekcraft and I think someone built the 47(or 45) as a Pantera...from there, I have no idea...

Whitey 09-19-2002 09:29 PM

FRANKIEFRANKIE, Why am I not surprised about you using the pulse drive?, lol . I know that I would trade the bravos on my 33 in a hot minute for the pulses. I am currently the only 33 owner with a B1 and so I have done alot of testing with this set up and from what I can tell the surface drive would work great on this hull. Go figure.
Challenger Offshore owns or has the leases on several Aronow hulls the 39 which was the old Magic voodoo, and the 42 which was on a thread earlier.
The 26.28 and 33 are Harry Schoell ddc designed hulls.
The 24 and the 30 are old Challenger boatworks hulls. (very much like aronow hulls).
Several of the Mariah molds have been aquired by Challenger Offshore and production has been started on those.
The story goes on with the cruiser line but, I dont do cruisers yet. lol.
Any other questions let me know and I may know the answer.
I am not an employee but I have followed the company for some time. Later Dwight

wwwTOPDJcom 09-19-2002 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the dc 26 is the same mold as my larson 25 senza without the larson name stamped in the back and minus the litte windows

Ben@SRP 09-20-2002 11:22 AM

BJ is right we did almost sink in Daytona... But in all fairness to Challenger Offshore, the boat the we raced in Daytona was an off the shelf "not" for racing built boat. Since Daytona, George Jr. and I went to Challenger and hand built us a new 28' "RACE BOAT" and this thing is strong. Challanger builds a great boat and George and I did run into some mechanical problems in Corpus, of our own issues. (fuel pump belt to be exact.) In extensive test since and continuing, Jr. and I really like the boat. It's fast and does handle the big water. We will be in the Bahamas and we are looking forward to closing out a second High Points Championship, and then to Key West... Anyway, feel free to contact me with any questions about Challenger or our race boat.

Thanks, Ben

Steve 1 09-20-2002 11:25 AM

How do you like the Boat ?

FunHome 09-20-2002 11:40 AM

I have a question:

The Mr. Goodwench Boat was a non-stepped 28? Right? Are they still building that hull?

Wasn't there a 28 Challenger that raced in the Great Lakes division that wasn't stepped? It would be the same kind of hull as the Mr. G boat? right?

Ben@SRP 09-20-2002 11:47 AM

The "Mr. Goodwrench" boat and "Crazy Rythm" (sp?) are the same boat, different owners. And yes it is a non stepped version, although I'm not sure if Challenger is still making that hull. The non stepped version is not a Harry Schoell "DDS" bottom.

FunHome 09-20-2002 12:54 PM

Thanks, Ben

It seemed to be a Quick Hull. Anyone else know about it?

wwwTOPDJcom 09-20-2002 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Steve 1
How do you like the Boat ?

I love it for it has no windshield to climb over,
enough room for 2 to overnight in, running water,
2 drop down ss bolsters 3 bolster style in back,
sliding cabin door, the radar arch supports a full canvas
fast back style top with windows, lots of storage too
dont need trim tabs, handles very good till the water gets
ruff then keeping her tracking straight is tuff, ride is nice
and smooth.

now the only thing I wish is I bought it with a BB
the 350 mag has begun to bore me a 502 is needed
52 is just too slow! the stepped hull doesnt work well to about
30mph. I have a friend with a 502 in one it does 75
just dont crank the wheel too far too fast or like most stepped
hulls under 28' they will spin out .

Whitey 09-20-2002 03:42 PM

The 28 that is non stepped is the little brother to the 30 that
challenger uses for the open bow. Both of these boats were known as Superv 28 and 30. Somehow the 30 made it to Mo but the 28 never did, I do not know why. once in a while I see the 28 hull as a Level 10 boat. later Dwight

Steve 1 09-20-2002 03:44 PM

Thanks!:)

Whitey 09-20-2002 03:45 PM

Ben@SRP

I am glad to see you on the board and wish you good luck in the Bahamas. Dwight

ddc33

DallasHeat 09-20-2002 06:49 PM

When I lived in Ottawa I had a 1990 Larsen Senza, single stepped hull, 454 Mag. 365hp. The boat ran 67MPH on radar in 1 foot chop. WWW is right, between 60 and 67MPH the boat was a little squirley and you sure didn't want to make any sudden turns.

The boat has lots of room in the cockpit great for running 7 of your closest friends around. We could fit a cooler (50 Quart) lengthways between the front bolsters and back bench.

The only thing I didn't like about mine was that there was no swim platform, just two steps similar to a 18 ft runabout. Mine was a fast/hard back, no sun pad, fiberglass engine hatches with built in head rests.

But overall the boat felt like a larger boat, lots of cockpit and cabin room and many amenities as www mentioned running water, head, seating for two, and a comfortable sleeping for two.

DallasHeat

Steve 1 09-20-2002 06:58 PM

Dallas
Nice Post !:) Thats what this place is all about !

Waterfoul 09-20-2002 07:50 PM

The 28 Challenger that raced in the Great Lakes Series (and won it's class) was called "Motion Marine" and was run by the owner of Motion Marine (Dave Dickman) and his friend (who own's the boat). Stock (well, mostly) Merc 454 mags (the F.I. 385 horse motors) it would run just under 80 mph (by design, they didn't want to go faster so they would not have to change classes). Dave is a friend of mine (and an occasional parts and service supplier!!) and he loves the way that boat handles.

SuperV from OSO also runs a 28 Challenger with a pair of Team Chaos tweeked 454 motors in it and will run about 80 mph any day of the week. It has neck snapping acceleration from about 30 mph on up to 80. Unbelievable!!! Just ask Crazyhorse!!!!

As far as I know those molds are still here in Michigan somwehre (Kalkaska perhaps??). Level 10 only pulled 2 boats from those molds as far as I know. One is for sale at this time. VERY nice boat I might add.

Dwight, how did the testing go last weekend??? See any positive results?? You can I.M. me if you want.

Mike

FunHome 09-21-2002 07:06 AM

Mike, Where is one for sale at? I have a buddy that might be in the market!

Brad

Waterfoul 09-21-2002 10:32 AM

Brad, as far as I know, the Level 10 that runs out of the same marina as Dyno and SuperV is for sale (Great lakes Marina in Muskegon, MI). Stock.....330's I believe. Or you might contact SuperV, he's been talking about selling lately. For the life of mje I can't remember the name of the guy with the Level 10 though. I'm sure Dyno knows.

SABER28 09-21-2002 08:20 PM

LEVEL 10'S owner is ron lamier(sp), sorry no phone #, he lives in rockford, mi. ask BGIII, bill gibson

Waterfoul 09-21-2002 08:24 PM

Originally posted by SABER28
LEVEL 10'S owner is ron lamier(sp), sorry no phone #, he lives in rockford, mi. ask BGIII, bill gibson
Yup. Ron Lemair (sp?). Owns Kent manufacturing.....Kent Conveyor....Kent ??? Something like that.

Ben@SRP 09-22-2002 07:45 AM

Dwight,
Thanks for the welcome, and yes we hope to do well in the Bahamas. Our Challenger is running great and we are expecting a good run. Zero Cavity is in P4 and Doc's team and we at Team Deranged have "this thing" going on between us and them, plus my girlfriend, really wants me to beat the two dentist... (inside story) So we are really looking forward to the next two races with Dr. Santiago and Dr. Ochoa. Stay tuned...