Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Recomendations to Remove Bottom Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33270-recomendations-remove-bottom-paint.html)

Da Patriot 09-18-2002 07:22 PM

Recomendations to Remove Bottom Paint

I am newer to the board. I need some advise on how to remove bottom paint. I want it all off with having to do as little work as possible and not ruining the bottom. I have been told that I may gain up to 5mph by removing this. I'm not exactly sure what kind of paint is on it but I don't think that it is teflon or micron. Any help will be appreiciated.
Thank You

Audiofn 09-18-2002 07:43 PM

Do a search on the subject and you will find a couple posts I think in the Technical Q+A area. There have been suggestions from sand blasting to high preasure water, to oven cleaner. :D:D

Jon

puder 09-18-2002 07:55 PM

oven cleaner works o take normal paint off i don;t know if it works with bottome paint. Sandblasting with walnut husks or corn meal i hear works. Take it to somebody that is a professional sandblaster who FREQUENTLY removes bottom paint. If they screw it up it could cost you more speed than you're already loosing.

HyperBaja 09-18-2002 07:58 PM

5 mph? no. MAYBE 1. not 5 though.

Madcow 09-18-2002 08:08 PM

I agree only 1 mph. Good paint striper and a pressure washer will take 95% of it off Finish with striper and a scraper. Anything left sand with fine paper. Good luck.

mfb357 09-18-2002 08:22 PM

have it done using corn husk material, it wont hurt gel coat

Da Patriot 09-20-2002 07:22 AM

I work for a construction company with many water blasters. What kind of PSI could I use. Keep in mind that i don't want to damage the fiberglass but I want to get as much paint off as possible.

NASTY HABIT 09-20-2002 07:35 AM

I recently stripped bottom paint using West Marines stripper bottom paint remover....it was a task 21 ' V hull took a freind and i a long day to complete . It actually did a good job ..i was suprised at the results...but this was blue gel and when finished stripping we started prep for a restoration and complete paint job so the results didn't have to be perfect ......not sure how it would be on a white hull that would be left alone after the paint was removed

good luck ....

Offshore Addiction 09-20-2002 10:09 AM

hey guys,oven cleaner does work very well and will not disturb the gel coat at all......oven cleaner,then let soften paint,then pressure wash.....try it,an old salt showed me this

Griff 09-20-2002 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
It was a big job and I learned my lesson about boats with bottom paint.
Yeah, Now he just gets boats and repaints everything but the bottom. :D :D :D