Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Just curious, who pays for that?
Old 08-30-2016, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Just curious, who pays for that?
Would say it depends in this situation. I know most insurance covers a vessel sinking and the clean up/recovery process. However this happened during a closed course "racing" experience, so it may be on the owner.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by racinfast002
Would say it depends in this situation. I know most insurance covers a vessel sinking and the clean up/recovery process. However this happened during a closed course "racing" experience, so it may be on the owner.
Thats why I asked. Lots of gray area...
Old 08-30-2016, 05:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by racinfast002
I checked with my agent RE. an insurance policy for the Catalina Ski Race. I was told it's a per event rider on your existing policy. I don't know if it covers recovery, but I was also told that in terms of insurance for high performance boats, if you want to be insured in the future, you need to think in terms of "life altering" before you file a claim. ANY claim (except towing) is going to get you either dropped or astronomically raise your rates in the near future.

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were tied up a few boat lengths past the finish line on Saturday. Depth finder showed about 79' there and most of the lake is 50+ from what we noticed, heck our dock depth was at 39' only ten feet from shore.

During the run you could hear it getting squirrelly with drastic rpm surges, sounded like he got out of it not far from the finish, recovered and hammered back into it, she snapped 90 degrees & it was a big violent splash & parts galor. Couldn't see if he was thrown clear though. Boat sank like a 12-ton anchor.

Rescue boats on site immediately and more came within a minute or two. Worst part as a spectator was not seeing any fire boats leave quickly & no input from radio feed, so no one knew what was happening.

After rescue boats left, few sherrif boats circled around I presume to make sure the boat was on the bottom & not likely to bob back up & become a race hazard.

Never did get any word if they found him, he was OK, or anything on the radio. Racing resumed shortly thereafter, which led to lots of speculation going from boat to boat.

Relieved to hear he was pronounced OK the next morning. Best wishes on a full recovery and hopefully something is salvageable from the boat. I know up in NE IL it's a $1,000 per day fine from DNR if your boat is left at the bottom and minimum $500 to pull it up.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by lsc86
We were tied up a few boat lengths past the finish line on Saturday. Depth finder showed about 79' there and most of the lake is 50+ from what we noticed, heck our dock depth was at 39' only ten feet from shore.

During the run you could hear it getting squirrelly with drastic rpm surges, sounded like he got out of it not far from the finish, recovered and hammered back into it, she snapped 90 degrees & it was a big violent splash & parts galor. Couldn't see if he was thrown clear though. Boat sank like a 12-ton anchor.

Rescue boats on site immediately and more came within a minute or two. Worst part as a spectator was not seeing any fire boats leave quickly & no input from radio feed, so no one knew what was happening.

After rescue boats left, few sherrif boats circled around I presume to make sure the boat was on the bottom & not likely to bob back up & become a race hazard.

Never did get any word if they found him, he was OK, or anything on the radio. Racing resumed shortly thereafter, which led to lots of speculation going from boat to boat.

Relieved to hear he was pronounced OK the next morning. Best wishes on a full recovery and hopefully something is salvageable from the boat. I know up in NE IL it's a $1,000 per day fine from DNR if your boat is left at the bottom and minimum $500 to pull it up.
Rescue efforts were prompt. Still it was scary seeing the driver face down and not moving. The alert was transmitted to rescue personnel in a couple seconds and an officer was in the water with the victim in 33 seconds. This boat had been capped and there was some speculation as to how well that would hold up in rough water. It looks like the hull/deck seam did fail in the spinout by the speed at which the boat sank. I hope he has some good friends to get the boat pickled and back to the owner's home where he should at least be able to save some expensive parts. It would be interesting to see the extent of damage to the hull. I don't know what sent him into that crazy chine walk; Never seen that before. This hull had been modified by the way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvvs7Y8MzU4
Old 08-31-2016, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's up and on the trailer...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558942[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558943[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558944[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558945[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558946[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558947[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558948[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails The Mail man is Back-22 Donzi smoking first day of testing...to be continued-screen-shot-2016-08-31-9.22.13-pm.jpg   The Mail man is Back-22 Donzi smoking first day of testing...to be continued-screen-shot-2016-08-31-9.22.36-pm.jpg   The Mail man is Back-22 Donzi smoking first day of testing...to be continued-screen-shot-2016-08-31-9.22.46-pm.jpg  

The Mail man is Back-22 Donzi smoking first day of testing...to be continued-screen-shot-2016-08-31-9.21.58-pm.jpg   The Mail man is Back-22 Donzi smoking first day of testing...to be continued-screen-shot-2016-08-31-9.21.50-pm.jpg   The Mail man is Back-22 Donzi smoking first day of testing...to be continued-screen-shot-2016-08-31-9.21.42-pm.jpg  

The Mail man is Back-22 Donzi smoking first day of testing...to be continued-screen-shot-2016-08-31-9.21.19-pm.jpg  
Old 08-31-2016, 08:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tis a flesh wound.... Call Glass Dave. Back on the water in no time.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott B
It's up and on the trailer...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558942[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558943[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558944[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558945[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558946[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558947[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558948[/ATTACH]
Well, that would explain why it sank like a rock...
Old 08-31-2016, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by lsc86

Pretty much my thoughts exactly as it sounds like we watched it from the same perspective. That boat was out of control from the starting line and I'm surprised he made it as far as he did. It's just scary when you see it happen in real time. Glad the man made it out okay, rescue teams were there right away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.