Notices

Bravo losing oil ?

Old 09-20-2002, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Bravo losing oil ?

My XR after every race was loseing the oil in the reserve tank and when we pulled the drive it was in the bellow.I was told that on the XR there was a new modification to stop it.Ordered the part but was shocked I never heard of this problem.And Its only on the XR and ZX drived.Just a heads up for all of you with those drives.
Randy
Old 09-21-2002, 09:35 AM
Warlock 27

Question Typhoon

Randy..can you elaborate a little more on this trouble..also
when did this slight new modification show up..

good luck to you guys in the upcoming race...wish Jay and I were out racing with you and BJ.....looks like this year has had great turnout in your class...Ron...F1-86......

Old 09-21-2002, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were sitting on back of boat one day & looked down & saw drops of oil coming to surface. Towed boat in & once on trailer found that there is a little plastic bulkhead that connect the reserve tank to the drive. The hose mercury iinstalled on the outside was just long enought to work but when drive was all the way up it put pressure on this little plastic part & caused it to crack & start leaking. By the time I got done I had broken part completely. Called all dealers on july 4 weekend in town & was told this was not a stocking part, & would have to order. I ended up rigging with some hose, o-rings, hose splices, & silcone. I was only going to leave for weekend but after weekend saw it had not leaked & have done nothing since.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:10 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is any leaking normal in the stock Bravo? I had to add about a cup after 40 hours.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:18 PM
VIP Member

I was told that the Bravo "uses" some gearlube. I find that odd but after 7 yrs, 400 hrs, and 550 H.P. going thru it I only have to add about 4-5 ounces per season. So I would agree a small loss is O.K.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:10 PM
Smittymarine

Hey, better come to drive school

Old 09-21-2002, 10:46 PM
Registered

had the same problem on the fastboats at the cleveland race,
luck was on my side and they had one on the mercury truck .
they said that they just started stocking it on the truck.... got the last one and just lengthend the hose thanks jeff!
Old 09-22-2002, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

This is NOT the hose issue.The oil doesnt leak out side the boat it leakes in the bellow.I believe its the oil plunger where the drive meets the gimbal.It is only a problem on the XR drives and not the standard bravo.
Randy
Old 09-22-2002, 09:33 AM
Warlock 27

Default Typhoon

Randy..the XZ as well..?? What was the exact mod ??

Old 09-22-2002, 10:00 PM
Smittymarine

Hey Randy, WAZZUP! The XR XZ and Bravo one all use the same parts in the cross over. Call me. I have had this problem before

Quick Reply: Bravo losing oil ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.