O/T  4x4 vs limited slip rear end >

O/T 4x4 vs limited slip rear end

Notices

O/T 4x4 vs limited slip rear end

Old 09-19-2002, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ps: Boomer

They do make front wheel drive (primary) 4X4's.
Ford Escape, Honda....Toyota...etc......not full frame (uni-body)
and under powered too.

Always thought Front Wheel Drive would suck with boats though.
The wheels would be on dry pavement (most likely) but the
boats hitch load and load transfer is to the rear.....unloading the
front (drive) wheels.

Just a thought............
Old 09-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can never have too much horse power OR traction. I vote 4X4.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:33 PM
Registered

Gotthefeaver- Snow??? Whats that?
Old 09-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Registered

Turbojack,
It’s what I had about an inch of in my yard this morning, believe it or not. Some of us crazies put sticks on our feet, get hauled to the top of a mountain, then attempt to avoid trees, other skiers, and small woodland creatures while careening to the bottom.
BTW: I’ve been to Houston and lived for a while in Dallas, Humidity, what’s that? (50% humidity is high around here) Also, Tropical Storms/Hurricanes, what are those?
Old 09-19-2002, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 x 4 is always great to have, just in case. It also takes the load off the truck when you pull up the ramp. The power is more manigable.

My last F150 4 x 4 had traction loc on the front and rear axles. Really pulled on the slimmy ramps.

You're glad you have 4 x 4 when the trailer drops off the ramp, by accident.

My $.02
Old 09-19-2002, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

several guys already mentioned it, but front wheel drive absolutely sucks for pulling anything UP a grade. You got three problems there: one, the vehicle transfers all of its weight rearward - two, the trailer loads the rear of the vehicle, taking weight from the front - three, the act of accelerating unloads the front tires. All this equals sqquuueeeEEEEEEEeeEEEeEEaaAAaL...

How many Fast dragsters have you seen with front wheel drive?

Next: a 4x4 doesn't require a limited slip axle to pull well. If you have a level ramp and pull down straight, you should not have spinning issues unless you are on an extremely steep and wet grade.

If you are driving a 4x4 with live axles front (not independent suspension), then the natural tendency of the driveshaft rotation to lean the vehicle to the right is shared in the front and rear, and will usually not lift the right rear tire and cause it to spin. This will actually help over a similar 4x4 with independent front.

With that being said, aftermarket limited slip units can be found for less than $250 and up. Clutch-type units are cheapest and will not produce the desired results in most offroad situations. They will, however, give you all you need for a launching ramp (secret: the clutch units hold tighter and tighter as the torque load increases on them). Locking units and Gleason-style worm differentials are by far superior offroad and for dedicated tow rigs. They usually make their presence known with occasional thunks and pops, though. Ratcheting (Detroit Lockers) differentials are truly hard on tires and you will not get your desired tire life when using them.

No front-wheel drive, though....
Old 09-20-2002, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I will stay with a 4x 4 . Because I know I can always fine a wet slimy ramp somewhere
Old 09-20-2002, 03:41 PM
Registered

It could be where he does his studying.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Tjack, you been spying on me !?

I just have fun adding my 2 cents.
How much I know is debatable.

One thing for sure, I do know my toilets...
Old 09-20-2002, 09:14 PM
h2oski2fast

I don't think you need a 4x4 for towing and launching at all. I pull a 27' boat weighing in at 5000 lbs less trailer. It is pulled by a 2002 Chevy 1500 WITHOUT limited slip. I must say I don't have to tow it long distances. I have no problems with tire spin.....I guess no one knows about the e-brake trick? Push the e-brake down a bit and no tire spin. Its kinda like double pedaling, but doesn't apply brake preasure to the front wheels. Also I have3 a friend with a 38' Fountain, and he launches his boat with a 1981 Chevy crewcab dually 4x4. We have never had any problems pulling it out (without the use of 4 wheel drive), and we've had it on some pretty wet ramps. If you want a 4x4, thats's cool, I just don't think it's a necessity.

Quick Reply: O/T 4x4 vs limited slip rear end

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.