Notices

Engine graphics / photos

Old 12-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine graphics / photos

Now that the Batboat's gone, my attention is on the engines in my Formula 382.

At 630 hours, I'm thinking that it's about time for a full overhaul. They run well, but one has started fouling spark plugs every 20 hours or so. I had them out 8 years ago (Geez - has it really been that long???) and painted them two-tone silver with brushed stainless panels on the valve covers. I was pretty happy with the results at the time, but looking at it now, they are a bit bland - just lots of different shades of silver.

Given some of the new powder coat and paint technologies, I'm thinking about using some more dramatic finishes this time, like black chrome on the valve covers, prismatic flakes and so on. I want to keep the heads and blocks silver to help spot leaks, but open for suggestions (and especially photos) of engine graphics from the members. Here are the engines and boat as they are painted now:
Attached Thumbnails Engine graphics / photos-p1010126.jpg   Engine graphics / photos-enginerrear20080226.jpg   Engine graphics / photos-enginesrf20080328b.jpg  

Engine graphics / photos-enginesleft20080226-large-.jpg   Engine graphics / photos-done20080510-large-.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Good lookin boat, I've never seen a water pump running off the crank before
Old 12-19-2015, 06:57 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice Innovation marine engines and do you have the DPX Outdrives installed ???

Added info - ^^^^ More marine apps run the waterpump impeller off the crank than not. Merc is the majority who does not run theirs that way nor never did.

Volvo Penta ran everything off the crank starting in 1999 but currently with their LS stuff is running them up higher with a pulley / belt off the front side of the engine - plus they use a big pulley to slow the speed down of the impeller rotation. A lot of testing went into that for Volvo. Also Indmar, PCM, Crusader and Marine Power mostly have used crank mounted pumps forever. Innovation Marine engines in the pics from the OP has used crank mounted pumps for years.

I just talked to the owner of Scat Crankshafts in person about this how bad of a effect does these crank mounted pumps have for the crankshaft and any unbalancing and or negative effects.

Last edited by BUP; 12-19-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:10 PM
BUP
Banned

Spark plug fouling (fuel side related) could be coolant temp / cold running engine and or coolant temp sensor related or the MAP sensor or fuel injectors or fuel pressure regulator related. Also could be ignition (components) related - weak or faulty. I would look at spark intensity first to see if it spark or fuel related before rebuilding completely. Could also be (oil side related ) worn piston rings / bd ring seal and or worn / scored cylinder(s) or worn valve seals

Leakdown tests and or intake manifold vacuum source testing, Comp tests, scan the engine and fuel pressure tests all would be good test to perform.

SORRY to change up your thread but offering IMO some solid advice as well

Last edited by BUP; 12-19-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Hey Chuck,

Hope all is well. Dont know if you have ever had your injectors out or not, but in relation to what BUP said about fuel delivery issues, I had pulled mine a season or 2 ago due to a miss and plug fouling and found that the injector baskets all had a bunch of aluminum oxide crap plugging them. Talked to Innovation and they told me it was a pretty common problem. They mostly attribut it to dgradation of the evap system and long term recommend running fuel line return back to tank. The evap cannister/housing itself is NLA. Anyway, long story short, baskets cleaned, and good to go, at least for now. Just a thought.

Mark
Old 12-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

All:

I probably will do a bit of diagnostics before pushing to button on complete rebuilds. It's just a lot of hours, and I'd hate to have something catastrophic happen.

I forgot to add that I scored two of these engine shrouds a few years ago. They are the only set in existence. Maybe I could get a painter to run wild on them...

Also attached is a powder coat that I used on an anchor a few years back.
Attached Thumbnails Engine graphics / photos-p1030612-large-.jpg   Engine graphics / photos-p1010862.jpg  
Old 12-20-2015, 01:05 PM
BUP
Banned

Nice ^^^^ always like the Volvo DPX installs. Wish they were still around with Innovation Marine. Anymore pics to post ?

Just adding info. Clogged basket filters in the fuel injectors will NOT cause spark plug fouling. This will cause fuel restrictions / lean conditions. A stuck open fuel injector will cause rich to very rich conditions that can turn into spark plug fouling. Changing the basket filters only in the fuel injector is like doing an an oil filter change but not changing the motor oil from the engine. It is best to have all fuel injectors flow tested and cleaned then new basket filters installed.

I am not trying to sell anything but having your fuel injectors tested and cleaned is part of routine maintenance every so often. Most are saying every 4 to 7 years max or before if you can pin point injector(s) problems whenever. If anyone needs info about it let me know. Just saying
Old 12-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Check out some of Ron Potter's pieces.

http://www.potterperformance.com/ENGINE-PHOTOS.html

I love the silver engines with a single candy color and black trim.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

If we can help, let me know. We do most all of the graphics that you see on Potter's Engines, and then he usually clears over the decals.....
Old 12-21-2015, 03:54 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Some nice looking stuff, there, Ryan. Thanks, guys! I'm going to play around with Illustrator a little to see what I come up with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.