Notices

Electric Trailer Winch

Old 12-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Nortech goes on the myco fairly easy not sure you need one.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry to hijack, but did you source the rubber V "pads" from Myco? Been looking for some (elsewhere) because Myco is VERY proud of them!

Originally Posted by 502ss
I built a myco style winch stand for my scarab and installed a power winch rc30 on it. The ramp I typically use doesn't allow power loading and with the waves it's difficult to deep load the boat and keep it centered on the bunks. What I do is back the trailer in about half way and get the boat about 2/3 on the trailer. The boat is still full floating and I would never be able to pull the boat on the rest of the way without having to back the truck further in. This is where the power winch pays for itself. I jump in the truck with the wireless winch remote. Slowly back the truck in while at the same time winching the boat on automatically. When it hits the stop I throw the truck in drive and I am out of there! I guarantee I load my 30' scarab faster than some load there 18' bass boats!

It's really really helpful when you only have one set of hands!! One addition I am going to make this spring is swap out the steel cable for a nylon strap which power winch sells for that unit.

I also mounted a full size battery on the trailer along with a solar panel. This keeps the battery topped off during the week when the trailer and boat are sitting outside, the full size battery also doubles as the backup battery for the EOH break away. The whole setup works pretty flawlessly!

Old 01-04-2016, 01:26 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Flightplan
I've always thought the winch is to secure the bow, not pull the boat on the trailer. Try just backing in a little deeper, crank it tight to the stop, pull out easily, secure stern.

I wonder how large of a winch you need to pull a bow eye thru a Fiberglas hull?
you gotta be careful with backing in deeper with some boats, a lot of ramps just arent long enough and you run the risk of the back wheels falling off the ramp. Seen some trailers tore up pretty bad trying to drag everything back on the ramp. Some times you have to rely on the winch or at least have the option.

Tell ya what i find equally as important as an electric winch is an electric tongue jack.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-04-2016, 01:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I've had power winches. I wouldn't buy another. Not much can go wrong with a manual winch. I can float my boat within a few inches of the bow stop.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:58 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
Sorry to hijack, but did you source the rubber V "pads" from Myco? Been looking for some (elsewhere) because Myco is VERY proud of them!
Posted on here a while back that they are actually truck dock bumpers. But I've never done a hard search for them. I've just bought them from Myco.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

You couldn't pay me enough to have an electric winch or an electric tongue jack. I haven't found one yet that works reliably. Hand cranks don't take much effort and won't leave you stranded.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:26 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Most hand crank winches on larger trailers are only rated around 3500-4000 lbs.
I would think a 5000# electric winch should be plenty.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
http://www.loadmastertrailerco.com/ is where I bought mine. Below is a picture from their website.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
I built a myco style winch stand for my scarab and installed a power winch rc30 on it. The ramp I typically use doesn't allow power loading and with the waves it's difficult to deep load the boat and keep it centered on the bunks. What I do is back the trailer in about half way and get the boat about 2/3 on the trailer. The boat is still full floating and I would never be able to pull the boat on the rest of the way without having to back the truck further in. This is where the power winch pays for itself. I jump in the truck with the wireless winch remote. Slowly back the truck in while at the same time winching the boat on automatically. When it hits the stop I throw the truck in drive and I am out of there! I guarantee I load my 30' scarab faster than some load there 18' bass boats!

It's really really helpful when you only have one set of hands!! One addition I am going to make this spring is swap out the steel cable for a nylon strap which power winch sells for that unit.

I also mounted a full size battery on the trailer along with a solar panel. This keeps the battery topped off during the week when the trailer and boat are sitting outside, the full size battery also doubles as the backup battery for the EOH break away. The whole setup works pretty flawlessly!

That is da bomb, I know what I am going to add this spring. Very nice setup.. But why are you going to replace the cable with the strap setup??
Old 01-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,241 Posts

That`s how I roll. No more getting stuck on the V pads. Makes loading/unloading a breeze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWpIgE9R3_I .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.