Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Owens and sons "slide-on" Trailers??? Need reviews. >

Owens and sons "slide-on" Trailers??? Need reviews.

Notices

Owens and sons "slide-on" Trailers??? Need reviews.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I had one under my Pantera that I owned for 5+ years. Never any problems and I put a lot of miles on it.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great trailers, I had one under my 30 spectre, and now under my 36. The one under the 30 was built in 97, and was a base model cheapy, still held up great and looks like new. The new one under my 36 is much nicer with more options, tows great. Definitely recommend for the money
Old 01-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I sold quite a few of them and my customers were always happy. Great people to deal with. I would recommend them without hesitation.

Tom Caruso
Total Marine
Old 01-05-2016, 10:46 PM
Registered

Had one under a spectre. It was about 12 years old in decent shape but wanted to replace most everything under it. Called them up and they worked very well with what I needed and gave me a good price and shipped right away. Had a hard time bleeding brakes and he walked me through it. Great people
Old 01-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Registered

I have one for my 30' Spectre and no problems at all with it. Trailer is a 98 I believe.....
Old 01-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the reviews guys. I ordered me one today with all the bells and whistles except electric/hydraulic brakes.

Rather than up sell me and take my money, Owens explained the electric/hydraulic option with my new GMC 2500 Duramax Denali is a hit or miss proposition, and that they have not found a vender of electrics that they trust with this tow rig. 50/50 odds my on board electronics work with the trailer brakes. I'll go with 100% on surge.

Adding a drive guard, bow stairs, LED's, fender steps, SS brakes, and 15" wheels added a few bucks, but I plan to keep this boat a good while, so it will be worth it. It will come with ST tires, but I will change to LT's in a year or two. That's the main reason I up'd to 15" wheels.

All in all, Doug and Kim at Owens took their time and explained all options in full. I'll update when I pick it up in a couple months.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Advice: take it or leave it...

Remember, surge brakes ONLY work when you are going straight. If you have any bend/angle between the truck/trailer, the surge brake coupler may not have enough force to engage, and the trailer will push the truck around into a jack-knife. This has happened a few go-zillion times on many types of trailers. Look at all of the U-haul trailer accidents on the web, same exact problem.

I'd find a solution that works for EoH, EVEN if you have to go to an aftermarket brake controller. You can hide it under the dash or something if you don't want to look at it.

I have towed the same boat on several different trailers from several different manufacturers, of several different caliber constructions and types.
EoH brakes is the BEST MONEY HANDS DOWN you can spend on your towing setup. Plus you get braking when backing down a ramp and the boat tries to drag the truck backwards; and you will always have braking control no matter what the position the truck/trailer happen to be in.

You are going cat's ass on a nicely optioned trailer. Don't skimp on the most important part, especially if you expect to travel a lot.

I do not believe you will find LT tires that are in a 15" diameter that will suit your needs.
Go ahead and buy some Maxxis 15" ST trailer tires and some fancy rims, and just bring your own when you go to pick it up.
Then they can keep their wheels/tires that you are going to pitch anyway, and you will have a quality setup from day one. As hot as the sun, pavement, and air temperatures get in Texas, I would not ever want to try and run tires that I didn't have 2000% faith in. I just drove 2400 miles roundtrip from VA to Key West and back towing on 15" Maxxis tires (small camper) at 80+ mph. I can't count how many trailer tire failures I saw, the further south (warmer) we were, and it wasn't even summer. You have a lot of options on good looking trailer wheels now:
Just one of many sites:
http://www.trailer-wheels.com/15-in-...ims_c_272.html
I have these on my small boat trailer, and put them on the camper for the Florida trips.

I order all of my Maxxis tires from eBay.

Congrats on your purchase, and I look forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-07-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 PM
Registered

Obviously you know I'm happy with mine! :-)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Advice: take it or leave it...

Remember, surge brakes ONLY work when you are going straight. If you have any bend/angle between the truck/trailer, the surge brake coupler may not have enough force to engage, and the trailer will push the truck around into a jack-knife. This has happened a few go-zillion times on many types of trailers. Look at all of the U-haul trailer accidents on the web, same exact problem.

I'd find a solution that works for EoH, EVEN if you have to go to an aftermarket brake controller. You can hide it under the dash or something if you don't want to look at it.

I have towed the same boat on several different trailers from several different manufacturers, of several different caliber constructions and types.
EoH brakes is the BEST MONEY HANDS DOWN you can spend on your towing setup. Plus you get braking when backing down a ramp and the boat tries to drag the truck backwards; and you will always have braking control no matter what the position the truck/trailer happen to be in.

You are going cat's ass on a nicely optioned trailer. Don't skimp on the most important part, especially if you expect to travel a lot.

I do not believe you will find LT tires that are in a 15" diameter that will suit your needs.
Go ahead and buy some Maxxis 15" ST trailer tires and some fancy rims, and just bring your own when you go to pick it up.
Then they can keep their wheels/tires that you are going to pitch anyway, and you will have a quality setup from day one. As hot as the sun, pavement, and air temperatures get in Texas, I would not ever want to try and run tires that I didn't have 2000% faith in. I just drove 2400 miles roundtrip from VA to Key West and back towing on 14" Maxxis tires (small camper) at 80+ mph. I can't count how many trailer tire failures I saw, the further south (warmer) we were, and it wasn't even summer. You have a lot of options on good looking trailer wheels now:
Just one of many sites:
http://www.trailer-wheels.com/15-in-...ims_c_272.html
I have these on my small boat trailer, and put them on the camper for the Florida trips.

I order all of my Maxxis tires from eBay.

Congrats on your purchase, and I look forward to seeing how it all turns out.
Ok, back to the drawing board dammit...lol

Good points for sure. I agree surely someone is smart enough to get brakes to work on this fancy ass truck.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Larry Gempp Jr.
Obviously you know I'm happy with mine! :-)
Yes, Good find Skater Bro.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.