Notices

Labor rates

Old 09-22-2002, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Labor rates

Okay guys and gals, what kind of labor rates are your mechanics charging in your areas? Also, do any of you know if the mechanics working on a commission is pretty standard in the marine industry?
Old 09-22-2002, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The marina I deal with is near LOTO They get 69.00 an hour. Not sure on commission, but they always take care of me and have gone above and beyond.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I'm in the habbit of NOT charging myself an hourly rate. I could never afford me!!! I do most of my own work.

When Crazyhorse helps me (or maybe I'm helping him with my own motor??) he charges me beer by the 12 pack for his wife!!!
Old 09-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Registered

Mike,

I've had it with the mechanics around here. Top $, marginal work, hell they can't even clean up after themselves. I'm in the middle of building a storage building and am going to go back to working on these things myself. It will be nice to actually have a place to work in for a change. Of course you realize that the Michigan OSO brothern will be getting some phone calls....but I'll make sure we have a big fridge in the warehouse

Oh, BTW one of the big deciding factors is the now $82/hr labor rate and the mechanics work on commission (can we say...screw the consumer?)
Old 09-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I TOTALLY understand!!! Why don't you build that building up this way.....I'll work on your stuff in exchange for letting me work on mine there too!! LOL!!!

I'm fortunate that some of my friends (mostly OSO'ers!!) have places I can work on my stuff. I live in the city.....can't even build a barn here. I'm waiting for my garage to fall down (it's old, and I bump into it with my bumper whenever possible!!!) so I can build a new one!! Bigger, better, and heated!!!
Old 09-22-2002, 02:28 PM
Registered

150 to 200 usd per hour here in Turkey.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:37 PM
Registered

Mike, Seriously, If we didn't have kids in such a great school system that they really enjoy, the west side of the state would be our choice but for the forseeable future I think were over here. It takes us right at 2 hrs to get to GH or Muskegon so thats not too bad.

The warehouse is 3400 sf and I'll have a small section of it for office. As soon as it gets done (November) I'm yanking the engine out, and firing up the sleds
Old 09-22-2002, 03:21 PM
Registered

No charge we do all our own work
Old 09-22-2002, 04:55 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Labor rate is $85/hr, and I always ask how many hours of labor before each job and if it takes them longer, they still only charge for what they quoted.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a friend who runs his own shop. Merc master technician and he previously charged 50 an hour. Merc forced him to raise his rates so as not to undercut other shops in the area. He is still backed up 2 to 3 weeks.
Tim T.

Quick Reply: Labor rates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.