Skater Building First Verado Outboard-Powered 368 Catamaran

Notices

Skater Building First Verado Outboard-Powered 368 Catamaran

Old 01-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
Are saying I'm slow??

Great project. I love all this R and D before I decide to pull the trigger on the 400 R. You lose 8-10 MPH on top end 28-308 from my experience with the same power. What you gain in rough water handling and comfort is significant. Well worth the top end trade off in my application. With a 20% larger foot print from a 308 to the 34 OB it will be very interesting to see what gains if any will be found in this new build. It should be a wave crusher for sure.

These OB Skaters are a blast to drive while being relatively economical and reliable. Hopefully the 400R will prove out to be reliable on cats and we will see a resurgence in the OB cat production.

Even if the top end speeds do not exceed the 110 mark it will be a great ride which should handle fuel people and gear.

Pete built his business on Outboard boats and has a love for their simplicity.

Good luck on the build..
Slow is a relative term! I hope to close the gap of the 8-10mph difference with a normal 28 set up. I am already less than 8mph down here in heat/humidty. From what we are learning the 308 is requiring a different set up than the.28 due to the notch etc. There has been hundreds of hours testing, setting up 28's over the years. There is not a lot of data on outboard 30's and that is part of the reason the gap is so big IMO. Let's face mathematical facts. It takes a certain amount of HP pushing a certain weight to achieve MPH. Just have to figure out how to get it to the water. Based on what.my boat weighed when it left Skater I am guessing my 308 is about 4300lbs. Same weight as my tricked out 28 weighed. . However this boat is rigged differently and does not have as many bells and whistles. I am excited to see all the O/B builds going on. Any outboard cat that can 100mph in a true 3-4's is a blast and a handful.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
Are saying I'm slow??

Great project. I love all this R and D before I decide to pull the trigger on the 400 R. You lose 8-10 MPH on top end 28-308 from my experience with the same power. What you gain in rough water handling and comfort is significant. Well worth the top end trade off in my application. With a 20% larger foot print from a 308 to the 34 OB it will be very interesting to see what gains if any will be found in this new build. It should be a wave crusher for sure.

These OB Skaters are a blast to drive while being relatively economical and reliable. Hopefully the 400R will prove out to be reliable on cats and we will see a resurgence in the OB cat production.

Even if the top end speeds do not exceed the 110 mark it will be a great ride which should handle fuel people and gear.

Pete built his business on Outboard boats and has a love for their simplicity.

Good luck on the build..
Sam, I'm saying that I love your boat! Just too big for my use. I usually run mine by myself. By the way cowboys are from Oklahoma... Arkansas ... Hogs??? Just say'in! Ooops! did I really say Cowboys! .... I meant SOONERS!

Last edited by Taboma; 01-14-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Don't quote me but it may have been Billy Mauff that posed the Question - "Do you want to go fast on the inside or the outside of the breakers where it's rough?"

Same considerations apply here in a way....

Does anyone know if its just ecm's that are differnt on the new 15" 400 regarding the power head??? If so the tweeking going on in the next couple of years could be fun!
Old 01-15-2016, 03:03 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ros

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Don't quote me but it may have been Billy Mauff that posed the Question - "Do you want to go fast on the inside or the outside of the breakers where it's rough?"

Same considerations apply here in a way....

Does anyone know if its just ecm's that are differnt on the new 15" 400 regarding the power head??? If so the tweeking going on in the next couple of years could be fun!
Hey Speich, I was down in Key west when they unveiled that motor. I spoke to Steve from Merc Racing. I had met him out at the factory when they were running my boat. I asked about performance relative to the 400R. He said that it may get another 10 Horses at the prop. Told me the exhaust is different and the midsection is easier to turn. I wasn't under the impression that they did anything to the powerhead. Like a remap or something in that order. Would be cool if they do. Like you said it would make next couple of years fun tweaking. Even if it was only another 25 horse aside. I would take it. I could easily be wrong but the above was the conversation I had with him. He pretty much said they left the powerhead alone. What info do you have on the ECMs in reference to them being different. Would love to know. Thanx Steve.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My sources say the same thing Steve. The current 400r is just a 15" motor. Maybe a few HP gains due to better exhaust flow but nothing significant. Who knows what the future holds. With all new the models coming out and big outboard buyers like MTI and Cigarette they can help put some pressure on Mercury Racing to improve the HP.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

I heard the same thing, only difference in power is approx +10hp. Shorter mid and different exhaust.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 531 Likes on 328 Posts

updates on this awesome boat w/ 400Rs ?

Old 03-20-2016, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ktron
I heard the same thing, only difference in power is approx +10hp. Shorter mid and different exhaust.
So nothing lost in weight with the shorter mid?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Mercury has the 400ROS on their U.S. site..http://www.mercuryracing.com/outboar...race-offshore/

What is the status on this hull?