Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: street racing show on MTV (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33374-ot-street-racing-show-mtv.html)

Flyinbrian 09-20-2002 01:29 PM

Wally

1 Attachment(s)
No kidding!
Those ricers can't even drive a slow ricemobile!

26scarab 09-20-2002 01:31 PM

Ranman,
Yes that Pinto had a big inch Clevelend with a Jericho 5 speed.
My friends (Jim and John ) currently run a SS/outlaw 5.0 Mustang there best pass is a 8.10 @170 , they used to street race until the car got into the nines.
In the early ninties I had a 85 Mustang that looked all stock except for the front runners and 9" slicks and the sump hanging out of the gas tank with 2 -8 fuel lines coming out of it. That car went 10:80's back then which was respectable but definitley couldn't hang with the big boys.
My best race that I can remember was on the old on ramp from Hall rd to I94. I was racing a tubbed blue 69 Roadrunner with a 500ci motor /w Indy heads. He actually got a car out on me (14" slicks vs 9") and then I just slipped and slided (my car usually hazed the tires thru 3rd gear) past him , Man he was pissed... he felt the same way about Mustangs as I feel about the ricers !

Ranman 09-20-2002 01:33 PM

I've got a great arcticle on street racing, but it's too long to post. If anyone is interested, email me. I don't have a place to upload it so I can't post a link.

RCM255 09-20-2002 01:37 PM

hey flyinbrian ya know if that guy adds racing stripes and stickers
he can gain 20hp:D :D

i love this post. anymore i thought i was all by myself in hating these fart cans. the kids who drive them are rich boy punks, and on top of that they're ugly cars. i can't wait to finish my 70 stang so i can mop up the street with these tarts. as to street racing i am no longer involved in it. i live near Philly and they cracked down so hard its rediculous. several years ago i was with my buddy in his mustang and we were sitting at a redlight and one cop pulled infront of us and another behind us. he got 4 tickets for doing nothing. the worst part is we hadn't even got to the races yet. we were targeted specifically because of the type of vehicle we were in.:mad:
anyways its good to know there are still a lot of v8 heads around

Russ

Whiteknuckle 09-20-2002 01:47 PM

Chuck,
Very close friend of mine that I grew up with in the Shores was a helicopter pilot for the Detroit police, now flying for one of the newstations, and a common assignment was to go out looking for the "organized" street racers. After they were spotted then he could call in the ground troops.

Wilerty,
I can relate like you to the mid-late sixties street races. No turbos, to laughting gas. Just cubic inches. The cars really didn't handle that good nor did that stop that good, but they sure did feel good going in a straight line. Try to have fun now with a good car, Vette, Viper, Porsche, etc. You have some fun, and you got a blue light in your mirror. NO thanks. I've had enough of that. Thats why I like the boat. I can go out in the lake, and unless you are really stupid, you can blow your brains out without being arrested. I like fast cars and bikes, but you just can't use them anymore.

26scarab 09-20-2002 02:01 PM

Ranman,
I'd like to read that article
[email protected]

Larry,
I'm sure your buddy got to see some interesting things !

EX20 09-20-2002 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good to see that there are alot of Mustang guys on this site. Here's mine.

Ranman 09-20-2002 02:23 PM

This was the mustang I used to race.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...stang1-med.jpg

Notice the gauges for the N2O.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...stang2-med.jpg

Flyinbrian 09-20-2002 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whiteknuckle-
The helicopter is our biggest enemy. That's another reason for the decoy/s. Once they see that giant line of cars running single file somewhere at 2:00 AM, they tend to lock in on them. Meanwhile, we're busting off one quick run and scattering at another location.

For a good while, several years ago, we had a fellow street racer that was also a city cop. He worked nightshift and patrolled the area we raced in. We could get away with anything then. That was prior to the ricers too.

RCM255-
The stickers are worth all kinds of speed. Did you ever notice that the stickers are normally yellow?!?! I think the bolt aluminum wing is worth tons of speed too.:rolleyes:

HyperBaja 09-20-2002 02:37 PM

Ranman, i like the story of how those tickets got down to almost nothing from where they started.

being in high school, i see lots of 4 cyl cars. most of these kids dont know much about their cars! one friend was asking if he could borrow my plug wrench, i asked if he needed a gapper also, he said "whats that?" if he wasnt a friend i would have let him put the plugs in as they were. (almost 2x bigger than he needed!!!). It was funny, were stanging around another friends 14sec integra, some kid has his Geo Storm parked next to it this was so funny, graphics down the side, wing on the back, and the exhaust, i wont go on long about it, ill just say a weed wacker does sound a bit more tuned than this exhaust did. then as he is pulling away one tire *almost* chirped and a big cloud of white smoke came out the 5" tail pipe!!!!

there still are a few youngins out ther knowin you need a full block to go fast, not one sliced down the middle. hopefully, ill get a 93 t bird from my parents for cheap, 5.0 235hp 300ft/lb which will pull a small boat pretty easily.