Notices

It's Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2002, 08:35 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHOO HOO! It lives! Yea Baby!

The fuel pump which sits on top of the fuel tank took maybe 10 seconds to prime. I figured that once I had pressure to the carb that the motor would start instantly. It actually took some cranking to get it started and even then it didn't want to keep running. I suppose that there was some air in the carb that need to get worked out because later on it was starting with just a tap. I accidentally hooked up the hoses to the raw water pump up backwards. A quick switch and we had good water flow. Of course this wasn't until the headers got good and warm. Even with the hoses correct, I was suprised how long it took to fill the engine with water. Proably a good 30 seconds at idle. The thing that's really concerning me is that at about 3k and up, I'm getting a severe vibration. I'm thinking that it's in the extension box drive shaft, but I'm not sure. I got a couple of things I need to do tomorrow and we'll see if I can't get her wet this weekend!
Old 09-20-2002, 08:39 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Tim, easy to get the hoses wrong!! The port nearest you when you have your head down there looking at it from the starboard side is the IN.....one nearest the oil pan is the OUT. Learned this the hard way once. Do yourself a BRAND NEW MOTOR favor, check the impeller.

Oh, and check the impeller.

Mike

Where's my cookies by the way??

Check the impeller.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

MIKE -- the pump will fit in the bracket in more than one position. so that means that You really have to look at the pump to make sure that you have the hoses correct.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:04 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Well, that's the way mine is, and that's the way Merc puts them on stock motors. Figured Tim would have his the same way I guess.

Anyway, check the impeller!!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 09:06 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go Tim!!!!!hope you get it wet soon !!!I still want a ride!!
Don
Old 09-20-2002, 10:56 PM
Registered

IS YOUR DRIVE UP. THAT WOULD EXPLAIN THE VIBRATION.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:14 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to say about the drive being trimmed up as well. I am sure you will be ok when you get her in the water. Also as far as the 30 seconds to get the block full that does seem quite a bit, so I would definatly check the impeller out as Foul has said. From there go out and have some MUCH deserved fun!!! Good luck with the testing!!!!

Jon
Old 09-21-2002, 07:25 AM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Tim, Good for you!

I take it that you got the headers to fit under the rear deck? How did you end up getting it to fit? Any pictures?

You might be OK on the impeller thing. Even with it hooked up backwards some water would still get in there due to the pressure from the hose. Probably should still check it out just to be safe.

Doug
Old 09-21-2002, 12:05 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yea, I wouldn't be so fortinate as having the drive trimmed up. I think it was almost all the way down.

Hopefully, the pump will be OK. The body was a little warm, but it wasn't hot. Mac was right in that some water did get past it, I think a little over a quart was in the hose. Not enough for the motor, but proably enough to save the impeller.

Offshore Addiction is helping me adjust the shifter. Mike gave me some instructions last night, but apparently there are other things that need to be check for a new installation. Good thing to. He had me pull the back cap off the drive (pia with the hydraulic steering) to check to see if the drive was in neutral. Turns out the shift cable didn't engage. So I loosened up the drive and noticed that the o ring was missing around the shift cable! Good thing I didn't try to launch like that!
Old 09-21-2002, 12:12 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Mac, here's a link to the pic...

http://offshoreonly.com/forum/showth...r&pagenumber=2