Notices

Aluminum trailers

Old 02-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 538 Likes on 330 Posts

My suggestion would be StrongBack Trailers ==> https://www.facebook.com/StrongbackTrailers/photos

If he doesn't already have the measurements for your boat, he will measure your boat himself. The measurements are then transferred to the CAD on a computer, and before the build is started, Quinton (owner, builder) would have a CAD drawing of the trailer for your boat. The bottom of your boat is measured accurately so that your boat is perfectly cradled by the trailer.

I towed a Strongback trailer for 1,800 miles for a friend. It wasn't carrying a boat.

I thought that I would be hearing rattling and squeaking whenever I hit a bump or pothole, but throughout the trip, I heard nothing but the sound of a very solid piece of equipment. The trailer pulled straight and was very easy to tow.

At night during the trip I always knew where the trailer was in the lane because the side markers are perfectly positioned throughout the trailer.

The winch and jack are great. The wheels are awesome and has the bling factor you want. You should check him out and the beautiful welds his crew does on any of the trailers being built in the shop.

Photo Credit: Strongback Trailers

Old 02-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wfo1
I have a 2015 platinum under my boat. I belive they are the same company as loadmaster.
FYI, I believe Platinum is from Nextrail out of Ocala, regardless, definitely not same company as Loadmaster in Tampa.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

FWIW, there are two totally different "Load Master" trailer companies.
One is in Florida. The other in Ohio. ....if I remember correctly.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
FWIW, there are two totally different "Load Master" trailer companies.
One is in Florida. The other in Ohio. ....if I remember correctly.
Correct, Loadmaster in Ohio (http://www.loadmastertrailerco.com/) is typically custom welded steel/galv trailers vs Loadmaster in Florida (http://loadmastertrailer.com/) which is Custom Aluminum I-Beam Style Trailers.

Not sure if they are affiliated or not, always forget to ask when I stop by the Tampa Factory.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 02-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are right. It is Next rail that is the same as platinum. I had a brain failure. I had a loadmaster I beam a couple boats ago. I don't see that there is much if any difference in the I beam bolt together trailers. At least the ones that I have had. And I still stand by that there is no comparison to the welded aluminum Myco's or Manning's.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks

Call Owens & Sons in St Petersburg before you buy. They will build whatever you want at a very reasonable price. Great people to work with.

Welded Aluminum, no problem. Stainless EoH Brakes, no problem. Bow ladder, drive guards, LEDs, choice of wheels and tires, full custom build, no problem.

Half the cost of a Myco, and everyone I have talked to loves their Owens and Sons.

Full disclosure: they are building me one right now for a 28 Skater.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
Who besides Myco makes a great aluminum trailer ?? I am looking at a Baja 40 Outlaw and I need a trailer. It has to be heavy duty as the boat is big and heavy. Looking at Nextrail, Ameritrail. Any other ones out there I am missing ??

Edit : Myco and Manning are great trailers, but too pricey for me. Would like to be in the 10-12K range.

Thanks
Very happy with my welded Ameratrail - trails great and has held up very nicely over the years.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ameritrail is 5 minutes from my house and I've seen plenty of nice trailers come out of their shop. They also have the ability to powdercoat on site.

Haven't seen a Strong Back in person, but I've seen plenty of pics, along with several happy customers.

Owen's and Sons also builds a nice trailer.

You can't go wrong with any of these three.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
PS- I HIGHLY recommend the Goodyear G614 RST Tires over Marathons or others. 14ply, 110psi, no sidewall crush/flex. Worth the extra $$ IMO
My 2 cents we have a small fleet of Load Rite trailers (generator trailers) they run 40k-50k miles a year. When the stock tires wore out we tried those exact tires which are way over the stock ratings. We found out the hard way that on the torsion tube axles you need the sidewall flex and bounce or you beat the suspension. Within 10k miles we destroyed a set of axles, meaning rubber failed and the tubes cracked on all 4 wheels, checked another trailer found 1 axles cracked both sides. Fixed everything, went back to the right softer sidewall tires and haven't another problem.

Will say we went to Load-Rite told them of the problems, of course "they're over loaded", so we got scale tickets and they shook their heads - in passing mentioned these great new tires we're using - a light went off!

Again my 2 cents - the tires can't be too overkill for the axles.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
My 2 cents we have a small fleet of Load Rite trailers (generator trailers) they run 40k-50k miles a year. When the stock tires wore out we tried those exact tires which are way over the stock ratings. We found out the hard way that on the torsion tube axles you need the sidewall flex and bounce or you beat the suspension. Within 10k miles we destroyed a set of axles, meaning rubber failed and the tubes cracked on all 4 wheels, checked another trailer found 1 axles cracked both sides. Fixed everything, went back to the right softer sidewall tires and haven't another problem.

Will say we went to Load-Rite told them of the problems, of course "they're over loaded", so we got scale tickets and they shook their heads - in passing mentioned these great new tires we're using - a light went off!

Again my 2 cents - the tires can't be too overkill for the axles.
Very Interesting & if you lived it you know better than the rest of us.

I find it hard to believe that the Axle Manufacturer specifies a tire or tire construction in order for their axles to be effective.
I plan to reach out to Dexter & follow up on this.

Thanks For Sharing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.