Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of truck
Just pulled a boat back from NC to MO
Had over boost issues in the mountains
Wish I cleaned my turbo before the trip
Old 02-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

87 to 88 to 81 to 77 then 95. I've been told to avoid the 95 between Baltimore and Richemond during the week-end because of the traffic. As for the mountains, i'll be pulling a 7000 load (twin axle) behind a 2016 2500hd Duramax.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats not a bad route. We usually run 95-287-78-81 -66-17-95. But you should be out of the way enough with the route you are taking.

Duramax should be fine with that load, bring plenty of DEF, they tend to suck that **** down under load. I prefer the night driving, but I am wierd like that.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by VortechSS
My .02 - If you've got a 6-lug trailer, bring an extra hub.. and a ratchet strap to tie an axle up in case you don't want to fix it on the side of the road.
First You need to buy a trailer for your tub LOL
Hope all is well Homie
Old 02-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Watch out for lot lizards at the truck stops and rest areas. They are NOT nice ladies.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Baltimore to Richmond is manageable, preferably at night. The only other major option is a rather long reroute out to I-81. And the truck traffic through the mountains on 81 is TERRIBLE.

Just call ahead for the hotels, and ask about parking. I've both slept in the boat, and in hotels, and I can tell you I never rest well in the boat.
Arrive late at the hotel, and you should be able to park right in front of the lobby pending the manager.

BUY A LASER TEMP GUN to keep an eye on tire, bearing, and brake temps. Anything that is 10-15% hotter than the rest of the same; is trouble.
This is one of the most valuable towing tools you can own. Check every time you stop for fuel, food, or bio,
It also comes in handy to check road surface temps to see if you have ice risks when towing in prone areas.

Also, take a full set of bearings, as vice grips for ability to pinch off a brake line if you have a brake failure.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

18v impact with 2 spares and I even carry a extra tire not mounted on the rim, I have had issues finding trailer tires at times. I have heard of people pulling the main fuse to the fuel pump while staying in a hotel
Old 02-10-2016, 05:57 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland
Stay at hotels adjacent to tittie bars . . . . . and dont eat the clams at hojo's
Or at the titty bars for that matter
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I assume your are coming down I-87 south from Montreal and then pickup I-95 in northern NJ. I've towed boats many times through this corridor. As one of the other writers pointed out, once south of Richmond it's smooth sailing. I might hold short your first day at Newburgh, NY and use the time to visit OCC or something. Then hit the road again after 7pm. You do not want to be on I-95 and pass through northern Jersey, Philly, Baltimore and DC during any type of commuting traffic. Another option is to depart Newburgh about 9am and you may be able to pass DC just before the evening commute and then hold up before Richmond (although Richmond is no where the traffic as the other cities). Truck stops are the best places to hold up with ample parking and amenities.There is the I-81 option and you could jump on to I-80 West in northern NJ and cut through the Delaware Water gap. It will cost you about two extra hours to get to 81 but you won't have to deal at all with the congested cities. The only thing is you have to be leery of the weather along 81. Snow, ice and fog are problems on I-81 in northern PA. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Generally, when I hauled to/from Florida or the southern states, I pulled the props and hardware and taped the splines under a rag and then shrunk wrapped the top and sides of the boat down over the drives.... when I would stop for a rest during the day (I'm another night runner) - no one paid any attention to the boat and it arrives clean and ready to splash. Never had an issue crossing borders wrapped up tight but have had open boats searched (personal and CV hauls).

I always trailer with a spare... seen where one poor buggar came back to his vehicle and found someone else needed his trailer tire more than he did and took the lugs too.. in broad daylight at the boat launch in lauderdale.

pack like a boy scout and your fine if anything happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.