Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Naples Marina, in Naples ME.

$55.00/hr
Old 09-22-2002, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

CHARGE???

$0-- Just ask Waterfoul,Whitey and Morrie (his friend),BGIII,and others. They don't even give me beer.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tinkerboater, please delete that post, I don't want merc to get their panties in a bunch for you not charging enough
Old 09-22-2002, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Griff,

That's the way it should be! But some places you ask for a quote and they hand you a big suprise (inflated bill) when you come to pick up your stuff! Not even a courtesy phone call that it might be a extra before they do the work. If it takes longer for them to do the job than what they quoted you on then THEY should "eat it"...not the consumer!

I'm going to be general as I can here, but here's an example:

Business: "Geeze, I forgot to tell you that it took me longer to do this stuff and it's going to be X amount of $$$ more."

Customer: "WOAH! What's THIS? (customer looking at his bill and choking on it) Hey listen, I asked you for a quote BEFORE the work was even started! What's going on here?"

Business: "well, I had to put more time and work into your stuff so the price went up!" (hoping that the customer will fall for it)

Customer: "Yeah but that's not right! I asked for a quote BEFORE the work was even started so that I knew how much I was spending on this project!---Not some open contract where you just charge what you like without consulting with me first! And now you hand me this big suprise of a bill and just expect me to pay it right???"

Business: "Well Mr. Customer, (business dude trying to act like he's a professional business man) we DO have your stuff here in our fine, reputable place of business. You'll have to pay for it first before you can leave with it---company policy you know!'

Customer: "Well Mr. Business, not a problem! Let me just reach into my pocket and throw the CASH at you----I mean after all, I have a money tree in my back yard and it just grows there! Yep! It just keeps falling on my lawn and making a mess so I'll just hand you bunch because after all, just because I own a boat I can certainly afford it----no budgets for this guy---nope! Got so much money I can't seem to get rid of it fast enough!"

My point being, no matter how nice they are to you or how much they sweet talk you; get a QUOTE, get it in WRITING, have them sign it and do NOT pay in advance unless it's for parts! And make sure you get a receipt for any money put down towards the parts and a copy of the invoice of work quoted on BEFORE you leave and any other time you come in and leave any money---ALWAYS get a copy of a receipt/invoice or work being performed.

Last edited by KAAMA; 09-23-2002 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Labor rates !

We're a Platinum Dealer with 4 boat lines and our labor rate is now at $75.00 an hour.

Pwrbt33
Offshore Performance
Grasonville, Md
Old 09-24-2002, 06:54 AM
JIM H
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$90.00 to $100.00 per hour here on long island,ny
Old 09-24-2002, 02:12 PM
Registered

It's been my experience that you don't get what you pay for in the marine industry here in west Michigan. Marinas regularly estimate lower than the actual bill turns out to be. The workmanship tends to be sloppy as well as the overall condition of the boat when returned to the customer. All that being said, I HAVE seen some very good work come out of Skipper Bud's in Coopersville. I would probably take a boat there for service if I needed to (and could afford to).
Old 09-24-2002, 02:35 PM
Registered

Playn,
Where have you been taking your stuff...$85 and hour ?!?!?
There are only 4 mechanics I would trust with my stuff. And I don't think a single one charges $85 and hour. And they don't work on commission.
If your interested I can give you some numbers.
I actually have told my one friend that he should charge MORE !
Old 09-24-2002, 04:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

That is exactly why we started a boat business. $90-120 an hour here and they don't even fix the problems. We charge $75, and that still blows me away.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:36 PM
Registered

ah yes;
forgot to mention : they also do not fix the problem here in Turkey