Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Skater / Nor-Tech / MTI / Mystic / DCB (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/335275-skater-nor-tech-mti-mystic-dcb.html)

370ss500efi 03-08-2016 09:09 PM

Skater / Nor-Tech / MTI / Mystic / DCB
 
How do these Cats stand up to each other? I see MTI dominate the unlimited racing class and seem to have huge draw on the poker run circuit in Florida. Skater Nation is where it's at in Superboat but don't see any racing unlimited. Racing aside how do these cats hold up against each other? What are the pros and cons between the manufactures?

flat rate 03-08-2016 09:31 PM

just change your title to Mystic/Skater/Mti/DCB/Nortech and you have your answer.

Orthobam 03-08-2016 09:35 PM

Love the title

Skaters are the best.....by far

mic drop

precisiondetails 03-08-2016 09:40 PM


Originally Posted by 370ss500efi (Post 4413339)
How do these Cats stand up to each other? I see MTI dominate the unlimited racing class and seem to have huge draw on the poker run circuit in Florida. Skater Nation is where it's at in Superboat but don't see any racing unlimited. Racing aside how do these cats hold up against each other? What are the pros and cons between the manufactures?

That's only cause the people that race in those classes have simply purchased the specific brand. There is no rhyme or reason behind it.

Bob Bull is an MTI guy with a relationship with Randy.

Just more people are running Skaters in Superboat. MTIs are just being ran in Unlimitted.

I'd love to see a Mystic in Super boat.

There is a hilarious "meme" on Instagram that has a pic of Skater, MTI racing in Key West, and the other half of the pic is a Dcb cruising in the channel at 5 mph in Havasu. It says- Skater and MTI win in KW, meanwhile DCB wins the channel! Lol

cowisl 03-09-2016 08:14 AM

what about Doug Wright :)?

JRider 03-09-2016 08:35 AM


Originally Posted by precisiondetails (Post 4413358)
That's only cause the people that race in those classes have simply purchased the specific brand. There is no rhyme or reason behind it.

Bob Bull is an MTI guy with a relationship with Randy.

Just more people are running Skaters in Superboat. MTIs are just being ran in Unlimitted.

I'd love to see a Mystic in Super boat.

There is a hilarious "meme" on Instagram that has a pic of Skater, MTI racing in Key West, and the other half of the pic is a Dcb cruising in the channel at 5 mph in Havasu. It says- Skater and MTI win in KW, meanwhile DCB wins the channel! Lol

That is funny, although I think DCB schools them all in the rigging category.

Tom A. 03-09-2016 10:32 AM

I feel there are different answers to this question based on the size cat you are looking at.
If I were in the market for a cat based on what I have seen and seat time (passenger mostly) this is my opinion for best handling & speed.
Again just my opinion.

50' - Mystic - hands down.
40-48' - MTI
36-40' - Skater
Under 36' - Doug Wright

If you need a cabin than the 36 Nor-Tech is the way to go.

CLA 03-09-2016 11:03 AM

I've had a bunch of West Coast cats. I have a 36' Elim now.

I'm going MTI next. Hands down.

999JAY 03-09-2016 12:46 PM

I looked at a 2004 Skater it was water logged, moisture was a 100% from the screen back, balsa core.
Not sure what construction the other are.

sea2jet 03-09-2016 05:33 PM


Originally Posted by 999JAY (Post 4413594)
I looked at a 2004 Skater it was water logged, moisture was a 100% from the screen back, balsa core.
Not sure what construction the other are.

I'll bet the tanks had failed and that was fuel in the core, not water.

TBAG 03-09-2016 06:38 PM


Originally Posted by CLA (Post 4413555)
I've had a bunch of West Coast cats. I have a 36' Elim now.

I'm going MTI next. Hands down.

I'm curious, as I can imagine several others might be as well, as to why you chose an MTI over other manufacturers "hands down".

SummerObsession 03-12-2016 03:53 PM

The simple answer to your question is that there is no definitive answer. Like politics, it's very subjective.
I have owned three of the brands you mentioned and all three have their strengths.
You will get many (uninformed) internet opinions on this thread, but the best thing to do is consider HOW and WHERE you would use a boat of this type, go and actually DRIVE one of each and make your decision from there.

CLA 03-12-2016 07:11 PM


Originally Posted by TBAG (Post 4413711)
I'm curious, as I can imagine several others might be as well, as to why you chose an MTI over other manufacturers "hands down".

For 3 summers I've looked both over at every poker run. Of course the MTI owners and Skater owners are both dicks and don't talk to anyone, BUT IMO the MTI is the one.

Bret with Panty Dropper sold me.

370ss500efi 03-12-2016 08:20 PM


Originally Posted by SummerObsession (Post 4414923)
The simple answer to your question is that there is no definitive answer. Like politics, it's very subjective.
I have owned three of the brands you mentioned and all three have their strengths.
You will get many (uninformed) internet opinions on this thread, but the best thing to do is consider HOW and WHERE you would use a boat of this type, go and actually DRIVE one of each and make your decision from there.

In the 40+ foot boats for running offshore how do Skater and MTI compare

DirtyMoney 03-12-2016 08:51 PM

I talk to everyone!

DirtyMoney 03-12-2016 08:52 PM

A 46 Skater is huge compared to a 48 MTI

Cash Bar 03-12-2016 10:02 PM


Originally Posted by DirtyMoney (Post 4414994)
I talk to everyone!

But not everyone talked to you. LOL:eek:

SummerObsession 03-13-2016 02:49 PM


Originally Posted by DirtyMoney (Post 4414995)
A 46 Skater is huge compared to a 48 MTI

This is absolutely true.

Nastybug 03-13-2016 03:23 PM


Originally Posted by CLA (Post 4414971)
For 3 summers I've looked both over at every poker run. Of course the MTI owners and Skater owners are both dicks and don't talk to anyone, BUT IMO the MTI is the one.

Bret with Panty Dropper sold me.

Haven't been called a dick in years, But its kinda true at least for Skater owners. You guys are all dicks and everyone was so mean to me on the Skater thread while I was building my boat. Ha. Love the comment.

CLA 03-13-2016 04:10 PM

lol, yall don't be sinsative. We are all fortunate to be able to even ask these questions.🍻🍻🍻😎

precisiondetails 03-13-2016 04:25 PM

There is the diplomatic debate between brand loyal owners, and then there is the pull out all the stops sports team argument! Lol����

370ss500efi 03-13-2016 09:27 PM

How about production numbers, who is building more cats each year?

SummerObsession 03-19-2016 01:46 PM

OK, here is my take on it.
First of all, production numbers mean nothing. They both build very few a year.

It is impossible to compare brand vs brand when even models within the brand vary greatly. For example, I had a 40' Skater classic that was probably one of the prettiest boats out there (IMHO), but I didn't like the ride. The 40SS and 388 though, have a great ride because of a newer, better hull and tunnel design.

For me, the switch from a Skater was because I liked some of the features and ergonomic layout of the MTI vs Skater, and I was looking for a better ride in the slop. Additionally I wanted to upgrade from 1100's or 1350's.

The best thing you could do is to prioritize your needs/wants/usage and narrow don to at least a size (width and length) range and then spend some time around the models I thin that range of different manufacturers.
Or, do what I did and buy one of each brand and see what you like best!
Nobodies opinion really matters but yours.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.