Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 01-26-2018, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
I haven't had any luck finding parts for these Denso pumps, any advice would be appreciated, pm me to not derail Tyson's thread.
What parts do you want?
Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
Industrial Injection has ran the engine on the Dyno all day everyday for the last two weeks and they have tried 64 different combinations of turbos and they think they have what is going to be a better match for what we need in the boat. Industral has literally thousands of turbos in stock so they could fine tune the setup. In the end we are at 1160 hp at 3200 rpm, 1100 hp at 4000 rpm, and 1000 hp at 4700 rpm. Some of the main differences are the compound turbos which will give us a lot better spool up off the line and then still have the flow for the higher rpm. And the lower exhaust temperatures should make the engine live longer.
if its making more power at 4200 rpm vs 4700 what would be the point of going up that much more? just for additional prop speed ?
Old 01-26-2018, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Did Industrial Injection give you any indication as to the Fuel consumption variance running the engines at 3200, 4K and 4700 rpm?

Just wondering if there was any major influence on how the given rpm/ required fuel consumption will effect the long distance capabilities you are after.
We are better off running lower rpm. The engines are the most efficient at there torque peak which is around 2700 rpm. The hp peak is around 3200 and would not use much more fuel so that is where we had planned on running the engines for long distance. Basically after it has boost and is over 2000 rpm if it is full throttle the injectors are open the same amount of time each stroke so as rpm goes up you are using more fuel per given time. We did not end up with as low of a gear ratio as we thought it was going to have so now the debate is do we turn them more rpm and burn more fuel weight or do I build an overdrive box and lower the rpm which will mean we will not need to carry as much fuel weight to make up the difference for the weight of the overdrive box? With the overdrive box the engines will be loaded harder but will be closer to there torque peak and have a lower EGT which is better on the engine, but were not sure how much power the overdrive will scrub off and it is something else that could have a problem. You are always better off keeping it simple, anything you add in a system is something that can break.

We are still trying to find "bigger" props to get the rpm down mainly from lower slip numbers since you cannot get any more pitch then we are running at 40's.

I have FLO-SCAN modules in the boat but did not have the nema2000 backbone all done so they were not showing up on the screen to see what we were burning, but I will hook them up before the next run so when were testing we can tune for the maximum fuel efficiency.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Please be very careful if you test at Havasu. All of the center pod guys cry about how "Hella rough" it gets out there........
Sure hope these motors work out for you. Thanks again for sharing this build with us.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:19 AM
Registered

Industrial is building the new exhaust for the boat but were not sure if it will be done with enough time for me to go out there and install the engines and test before I have to leave for the Miami boat show. I will update once I head out there.

I have not been on here in a week because I was sick. Here is a video of what it was like when I ask Tristan for a bowl of chicken noodle soup.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 02-02-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:48 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Industrial is building the new exhaust for the boat but were not sure if it will be done with enough time for me to go out there and install the engines and test before I have to leave for the Miami boat show. I will update once I head out there.

I have not been on here in a week because I was sick. Here is a video of what it was like when I ask Tristan for a bowl of chicken noodle soup.

https://youtu.be/gLj7fj-3L78

Thats funny
Old 02-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Industrial Injection has ran the engine on the Dyno all day everyday for the last two weeks and they have tried 64 different combinations of turbos and they think they have what is going to be a better match for what we need in the boat. Industral has literally thousands of turbos in stock so they could fine tune the setup. In the end we are at 1160 hp at 3200 rpm, 1100 hp at 4000 rpm, and 1000 hp at 4700 rpm. Some of the main differences are the compound turbos which will give us a lot better spool up off the line and then still have the flow for the higher rpm. And the lower exhaust temperatures should make the engine live longer.

They have ordered stainless steel tubing to make new exhaust and intake pipes. I thought they were going to use the black pipes they made for the Dyno but they wanted it to look better and they can keep the setup they are using on the Dyno to keep checking different setups. I'm flying back out there in a couple days to start putting the engine back in and get the boat ready to test once they get all the plumbing done. This time we will probably haul it all the way to Lake Havasu to test. The last time we tested it was not very realistic to what the conditions will be that we are normally running in. The altitude being 6,500 feet changes a lot including lift from the tunnel.
Why not Lake Mead? Isn't it closer to Salt Lake City?? Or is it still at too high of an altitude??
Old 02-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FunHome
Why not Lake Mead? Isn't it closer to Salt Lake City?? Or is it still at too high of an altitude??
We debated on lake Mead and lake powell. The problem with powell is the close part to salt lake city has nothing around it for a "city" if we need anything, and it is as far from that point on Powell to Havasu as it is from Salt lake city to Havasu for if we decided to do more testing. The bigger part of powell that has a city is about the same distance as Havasu. Lake Mead is a little closer then Havasu but I have never been out on lake mead and do not know the lake (where to go, water depth, ramps, ect.) At Havasu I know the lake, and there are "people" there that we can get parts from if we need them, or help working on something, ect. And I may leave it there at Havasu till the poker run if the testing goes good. If we tested at Mead or Powell I would still have to haul it to Havasu to leave it for the poker run.

I'm not going to have enough time to go out there and test it before the Miami boat show so it will be 3 weeks till I go back out there to put the engines back in and go run it.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

https://youtu.be/gLj7fj-3L78
I had no idea that Tristan had a sister. Amazing they have exactly the same demeanor. LOL
Old 03-08-2018, 11:46 AM
Registered

The engine compound turbo piping is done. They are putting heat wrap on the exhaust side and painting the cold side piping and I am flying back out there to Salt Lake City this weekend to put the engines back in and go test run the boat probably next weekend. Once we get the engines mounted in the boat we will have to make new exhaust from the turbo back since it has changed locations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.