Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
Could you imagine if we put one of these in a truck and took it to the dealership and told them we think there is something wrong... The look on the technicians face when he opened the hood would be priceless.
Or he might just say "modified, no warranty" not my problem.

I on the other hand would love one of those replacing my Duramax.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

I needed to plug this 1 1/4" pipe thread fitting on the sea strainer. Instead of just using that size plug I used a reducer then a 3/4" pipe thread plug. That way if I'm in a hurry and need to use that fitting for something but only need a little hose hooked to it I don't need to try to adapt down from the big fitting and if I need the bigger fitting I just take the whole thing out. Basically gives me options.

This brings up another thing I have done.. Nerd level 3.8 I have a list of every tool that I have used to put something in the boat. When I am in the middle of the ocean I will need to have every tool available to work on the boat that was used to build it. I will have all the normal tools but then there might be somewhere that the only way I can get a bolt out is with 2 - 9/16" open end wrenches. Most people would only have one of each size tool. And this fitting was a good example of why I needed the list. I doubt there is anyone on here that has a 9/16" Allen wrench in there boat tool bag.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552971[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552972[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-20.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-21.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 03-25-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:32 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 790 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
I just ran out to my garage and popped the hood of my 2500HD and much to my surprise my engine looks nothing like your masterpieces. Mine have a cheap plastic shroud not the shiny aluminum yours do!

I sort of feel ripped off!
That's because yours was built in Mexico. By Guatamalan labor. LOL
Old 03-25-2016, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I needed to plug this 1 1/4" pipe thread fitting on the sea strainer. Instead of just using that size plug I used a reducer then a 3/4" pipe thread plug. That way if I'm in a hurry and need to use that fitting for something but only need a little hose hooked to it I don't need to try to adapt down from the big fitting and if I need the bigger fitting I just take the whole thing out. Basically gives me options.

This brings up another thing I have done.. Nerd level 3.8 I have a list of every tool that I have used to put something in the boat. When I am in the middle of the ocean I will need to have every tool available to work on the boat that was used to build it. I will have all the normal tools but then there might be somewhere that the only way I can get a bolt out is with 2 - 9/16" open end wrenches. Most people would only have one of each size tool. And this fitting was a good example of why I needed the list. I doubt there is anyone on here that has a 9/16" Allen wrench in there boat tool bag.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552971[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552972[/ATTACH]
Maybe not, but if you have a decent supply of spare nuts and bolts, you can take a bolt whose head fits and grab it with vice grips or tighten 2 nuts together on it and you should get the plug out.... Having the right tool is nice, knowing how to improvise will save your butt in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. lol

Not that your not prepared, it just follows the premise that no matter how well prepared you are, you never need all the stuff you brought, its always the one thing you didnt...

Last edited by phragle; 03-26-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 150 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
That's because yours was built in Mexico. By Guatamalan labor. LOL

Still beats a Ford anyday! Lol
Old 03-26-2016, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Big Silver Cat, I was just catching up on your thread - very good read...

.With regards to your strainers and plugs and the earlier posts about using the sea pump as an emergency crash pump... Could you use this fitting (controlled by a ball valve when not needed) as an emergency pick up port with a hose down to the bottom of the bilge - or would it not have enough suction to lift in your application?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for posting this thread. You're doing a great job. Also shows well for Skater.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Big Silver Cat, I was just catching up on your thread - very good read...

.With regards to your strainers and plugs and the earlier posts about using the sea pump as an emergency crash pump... Could you use this fitting (controlled by a ball valve when not needed) as an emergency pick up port with a hose down to the bottom of the bilge - or would it not have enough suction to lift in your application?
I was going to put a ball valve on that port but decided I will just have a length of hose that I could use to replace several different hoses in the boat that I can put into that port. The 1 1/4" stainless ball valve would be heavy adding weight to the boat I would have to build a bracket to hold it, and they are not cheep. Just like all big projects I have went way over my budget so I have to look at each part and say do I really need this right now or could I add it later. If I find a company that wants to get some media/press by putting there logo on the boat when we're trying to break some long distance endurance records, then I will be able to add some more stuff to the boat that is not needed right now.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

thats similar to the method i use. Whenever i work on my boat in my shop or in the water weather it be an oil change or a full engine/drive r&r i use only the tool bag i have on the boat. I use only tools i have on board and add or subtract as necessary and through time you develop a very linear set of tools that will cover all bases. I also add other specific items that i see as necessary.

great great thread . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-26-2016, 01:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I told you this is a no holds barred build thread. Here is one of the problems we had. I was working with CMI to build the water jacketed exhaust. After going through design stuff on the computer with them I decided it would be easier and more accurate to get the engine and haul it up there and have them build the exhaust right onto the engine to make sure it fits. I spent a few days driving all over the country to get the engine and hauling it up to CMI. When I dropped it off I did not have a rear mount starter so we looked around trying to find one and they said they had one and would put it on and make sure it would clear. They would be done in 3 weeks. Several months later...They called and said they are done and fit good, I specifically ask if they cleared the rear mount starter good and they said yes The exhaust is shipped back with the engine. We open up the boxes and they look pretty good, except the flanges look like my grandma chewed them out of a piece of bar stock with her dentures. We go to put the header on and the hole in the flange to bolt it to the head is not big enough for the bolt to go through it? How did they have them on the engine when the hole in the flange is not big enough for the bolt? We drill the hole out to the size of the bolt and the hole is half a hole off to the side. After reaming all the holes a little bigger to get the bolts through them we cannot get any two to line up right. We had to machine out to the edge of the flange on some of them to get them to bolt on. Then we go to put the back turbo pipe on and it goes directly across where the starter would go. It is one piece and does not line up with headers. What makes me mad about this is I spent a lot of time driving around the country getting the engine and taking it to them to make sure they fit and they never bolted them to it. They were supposed to build them on the engine as a jig. I called a few times and they said to send them back and they would try to fix them but that it might take a few months to get to them. We had already modified the headers to fit even tho they really need a new flange welded on. But I am going to take the turbo up pipe over there next week and see if they can make new ones. And like I said I'm mad they did not try them on the engine after telling me they did, wasting my time taking it there but if they take care of fixing them I will be ok with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552864[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552865[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552866[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552867[/ATTACH]
WOW! I am absolutely shocked that you would have all of these quality control issues with CMI workmanship!!! Especially because you did everything that you could possible have done, to try to prevent them from happening!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.