Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 11-18-2016, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

There are other carbon coatings out there in the detailing arenas. I have personally not tried any yet but just might now after seeing this. It is not cheap but not too expensive to give it a try at home. Here is one from a company I have been buying detailing products for my boat and cars.
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Carbon_F...s_p/wac227.htm
Old 11-18-2016, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rMcRJVY1-0

Alright, I'm pissed....you have found some new Clark Griswold sled lube that none of us have and now we are all chomping at the bit for a quote.
Something else ole Pete can upsell us on....
Yep,

Originally Posted by NASCAT
I'm thinking for $12k-$17k and no guarantee how well it works nor documented length of time it lasts I could probably find time in my day to clean my boat.
My boat also isn't a 50' x 12' canvas.

Updates over time will be interesting.

In reference to a slick hull I was under the impression that a slick running surface was actually slower than a scuff prepped running surface.
If you have a detail shop come in to clean a boat really good we have paid anywhere from $300-$1000. It does not take very many times to make it cost effective. If I hauled the boat somewhere every weekend and had road grime, bugs, ect., and can just hose it off in a few min, then use the boat and get the scum line off in a few min and the boat always looks clean then it is well worth the price.

In theory a sanded bottom would be faster then a smooth bottom. The water tension would make it just touch the tops of the sanding ridges which would be less surface area in contact. This coating is supposed to kind of do the same thing, its hydrophobic so water will not sheet on it which would cause lots of surface tension. If the water technically beads on the bottom when your running and does not stick to the surface then it should help. Another thing is we plan on being in the water a lot and if you had a sanded bottom it would be good for the first time then it would slow you down from the growth on it, that is where this coating should have the advantage. If we are sitting in the water for a week and have a lot of growth on the bottom is should just blow right off the minute we get on plane.

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
We make a Ceramic now and I can tell you they are a ***** to put on. And ours is now classified the working mans ceramic. They work but there is sure no guarantees. They last in auto world, not sure about marine world. Also at $250 a foot that has to include correction, fixing all scratches and imperfections etc.
Yes that pricing would include all the prep work to make the boat perfect before the coating goes on. The coating would probably be 1/2 or less of the cost.

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Sealer waxes in my experience can do the same thing at 1 tenth the cost. Synthetic wax.
Just from the little experience I have with this coating so far and the years of experience I have with sealer waxes and Synthetic waxes I would say this is definitely better so far. But it is expensive. I have never waxed any of my boats, I don't believe in wax. I polish them, just don't add anything back that would create a dirt magnet.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A local boat spent 10k on a ceramic coating, after the first year, it looks like ****. It was done by a certified Ceramic Pro installer as well. Hopefully you have better luck!
Old 11-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

I need some help.... Do any of you guys have rzr's or dune buggys, side by side's, ect. that have seat belt harnesses with sleeves on them? My seat belts have an edge in them that hurts your shoulder and I want to find a good sleeve to put on it maybe out of neoprene? Any ideas?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561804[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]561805[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]561806[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-seat-belt-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-seat-belt-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-seat-belt-3.jpg  

Old 11-18-2016, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some also! Our seat belts and life jacket edges scratch the sides of my neck!
Old 11-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
I need some help.... Do any of you guys have rzr's or dune buggys, side by side's, ect. that have seat belt harnesses with sleeves on them? My seat belts have an edge in them that hurts your shoulder and I want to find a good sleeve to put on it maybe out of neoprene? Any ideas?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561804[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]561805[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]561806[/ATTACH]
Send the boat up here and I'll get some fitted ASAP. I'll even test them out for you!
Old 11-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 11-18-2016, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 11-18-2016, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Why would he put "off the shelf" products on this thing? He needs the custom ones I'll fit! I'll make 3mm sleeves for warm weather and 7mm for the cold.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat

Check this site out. By the way, you are doing some unbelievable work!

https://www.aliexpress.com/cheap/che...eat-belts.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.