Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 09-06-2017, 06:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
Cup holders:

Now for the most important custom parts in the whole build...... The cup holders.... A lot of people use the big "Yeti" style tumblers/ cups. The problem is they are way to big for normal cup holders. We decided to make some cup holders that will hold the large yeti tumblers. These pics have a normal size cup holder and my cup holders. It will also hold the yeti can/small bottle holder with out it falling out. And cell phones will fit completely down in the cup holder and not fall out in rough water.

I also have Silicone tape that we can put around the top inch of the cup holder to keep the tumbler from rattling or scratching the custom painted tumblers.
After spending well over a year reading about countless incredible and fascinating details about this build that I have absolutely no comprehension of, FINALLY there's something that I understand fully and can really get on-board with!
Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
Cup holders:

Now for the most important custom parts in the whole build...... The cup holders.... A lot of people use the big "Yeti" style tumblers/ cups. The problem is they are way to big for normal cup holders. We decided to make some cup holders that will hold the large yeti tumblers. These pics have a normal size cup holder and my cup holders. It will also hold the yeti can/small bottle holder with out it falling out. And cell phones will fit completely down in the cup holder and not fall out in rough water.

I also have Silicone tape that we can put around the top inch of the cup holder to keep the tumbler from rattling or scratching the custom painted tumblers.

I'll take two please!
Old 09-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Can't wait to see what's in the works for onboard coolers!
Old 09-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam tyson you were not kidding when you told me about the big skater project!!!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts

Last edited by jeff32; 09-08-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: wrong tread, as simple as that !
Old 09-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Perfect Storm
After spending well over a year reading about countless incredible and fascinating details about this build that I have absolutely no comprehension of, FINALLY there's something that I understand fully and can really get on-board with!
It's all about the details... The little things are what will make the boat more capable/enjoyable. Most of the big things have to be done to the boat to call it a boat, but the little things like the bigger cup holders so were not worrying about our drinks falling out or having to look for our phones while were in a hurry trying to beat a record are what will make the boat better.

Originally Posted by pstorti
I'll take two please!
Tristan will put them on the Skater Apparel website for sale tomorrow. WWW.Skater-apparel.com

Old 09-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Can't wait to see what's in the works for onboard coolers!
On the Bermuda run in the V-bottom we had a 12 volt electric cooler to have cold drinks and be able to store cold food. And we took another large cooler that we were using to store safety gear,ditch bag, food ,ect. and bolted clamps to the lid so it could not accidentally open in rough water or if it was thrown out. The cooler would give us something that would float that would keep our safety gear and food together.

In the new boat we will have the same cooler for the safety gear and food, but will only have a small soft cooler for each of us that will be within reach while were seat belted in. If we are trying to set a record that is 1000 miles long we plan on running at least 100 mph so that is only 10 hours so we would only need a drink or two and a small snack. If we break down there will be a lot of food and water in the boat but it will not need to be in a cooler.

I did want to put a fischer panda 12 volt diesel generator in the boat so we would have power for an electric cooler, sat phone, bilge pumps, ect. but the first several runs we do will not be too far from shore so were not as worried about being completely broke down and running out of battery power. After we set some records with the boat I will see if they want to donate one for sponsorship or we may try to find a tiny diesel engine and little alternator and make our own generator. The fisher panda is a few hundred pounds and makes a lot more power then we would need so if we could find a tiny diesel engine like r/c car size and a tiny alternator I think we could build something that would weigh less then 20lbs.

If we did have a generator I would be building some custom electric coolers for it but without the generator they would not be of much use.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 09-10-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Registered

VHF radio's:

We are using the Simrad RS90 Vhf radios. There are a few cool things they do over just having a hand held microphone and a speaker. You hold it like a phone and with the speaker against your ear you will have a lot better chance of hearing what they are saying. It records the conversation so if someone was giving you latitude longitude, slip number, phone number, ect. and you did not remember what they said or hear them you could play it back.

We have two of them in the boat. By having two we have a back up if one quits and each of us can be talking to different people on different channels at the same time. I mounted them in the side pocket out of most of the weather but close enough to each of us that we can reach them while seated with our seat belts on.

I mounted a vhf antenna inside each sponson. Being inside the sponson keeps it from getting taken off if we stuff it through a wave. On the Bermuda run we had the vhf antenna mounted inside the front of the boat and were able to communicate with them about 30 miles out so it worked better then we thought it would. I will also have a vhf antenna that I can put up on top of the radar mount.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-vhf-3.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-vhf-4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-vhf-5.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-vhf-9.jpg  
Old 09-16-2017, 09:17 AM
Registered

Gps remote control:

We have a SIMRAD 16" GPS monitor in the back of the console for the people in the back seat to use. You cannot reach it from the seat when your seat belted in so I put a Simrad op40 remote control in the side panel that you can control it with from the two port side back seats. The person in the back seat can be a true navigator and be telling us where to go.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-simrad-op40-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-simrad-op40-4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-simrad-op40-5.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-dash-1.jpg  
Old 09-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Registered

Engines:

Engines are completed and dynoing is done. Now I have to make engine mounts, hoses, wiring, ect. to rig them into boat.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-ii-engines-4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-ii-engines-5.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-ii-engines-6.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-ii-engines-9.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.