Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 11-24-2017, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Photos speak a thousand words, when we going to see the destruction?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok, I have spent hours and hours talking to the top diesel people. Not people that have bought a programmer and have a fast truck, not people that own small local shops that may have worked on diesels for 100 years that buy parts and install them and have made a few "fast trucks", only the top people that are the innovators in the diesel industry that have been responsible for making the leaps and bounds in how much hp you can get out of a diesel. Everyone from the engineers that design the blocks and pistons, to the engineers that design, test, and build the injectors to the guys that do the top level of programming, not local hey my buddy can program that, but the guys that make the programmers that those guys use, including the only real name that was mentioned on here Gale Banks. According to every single one of them you can lean out a diesel to get higher egt, keep in mind we're not saying that every time you put less fuel in it would raise the egt, most of the time it will not but in certain circumstances you can put in less fuel and have higher egt.. Where I think some of the people on this thread misunderstood what I was saying is how it was worded. When I was saying lean I was not talking about a specific a/f number and saying if you go less then that its lean, I was saying that if you are putting in x amount of fuel and you put a little less you are leaning it out. Almost every top diesel drag racer/ tractor puller would melt there pistons if they ran a little less fuel ( leaned them out). The way to make the most possible power is to run as much fuel as you can to the point that more fuel does not make more power and the egt are not sustainable and then add more fuel to cool the egt. If you Leaned them out the egt would rise. Keep in mind there are lots of variables to where the lean point would be, piston shape , fuel pressure, nozzle design , head design, boost, ect. It is not just a number like it is with a gas engine. And I am not talking about having a diesel running that is running fine and taking away fuel, I understand that is only going to drop power, but that is not what were doing in my boat, we are trying things that have never been done and pushing the envelope of what can be done.

In one of the first pages in this thread I said I would welcome any questions, comments, or suggestions. That anytime someone is doing something that is risking there lives there is no stupid question or suggestion. We are working with the top people in every field that do anything relating to what we are doing. That being said, I don't mind questions, suggestions, or comments, but making a post saying were idiots (we already know that) and that we don't know what were doing with out having a better/safer way of doing something does not help us or anyone in the future that reads this thread. We don't mind someone saying were wrong on something. But if your not the top of your field, or have direct knowledge/testing don't tell us were idiots and don't know what were doing, ask us why were doing something a certain way, or how we came to our conclusion, or suggest something better and then we can figure it out.

This thread is here for people to see what we are doing, for them to comment and be involved in the project, and for in the future if anyone is doing any thing that they could read this thread and see what we did or the suggestions on here that might help them with anything they are working on/ building to save them time, money, or make something better.

Thank you,
Tyson

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 11-27-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:47 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate you sharing this build and hope that you continue to do so despite some unfortunate comments.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Diesel

By running an x amount of fuel on max power, and you bring THE fuel a little less,( in programming ) isn,t that THE Same as bring THE throttle back a hair or two ? THE power is regulated by injector open time in m/s , would,t it BE THE Same thing ?
Old 11-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

NOT arguing and don't think you're an idiot, maybe out of your mind putting the money you have into this - but we all have vices!!!

The drag racers and tractor pull guys you reference aren't they running Nitrous oxide or some other kinds of accelerant maybe alcohol injection not just compressed air - are you comparing apples to apples?

Electronic fuel delivery technology has given people like you the ability to do things to a diesel that were simply physically impossible years ago.

Good Luck I enjoy reading this.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Ceramic pro coating:

The coating has been on the boat for around a year, the boat has not been used much but it has been really dirty a few times and been covered in fiberglass dust, overspray, road grime, ect. The coating looks like it is holding up well. People talk about water beading, this is a whole new level. When you run the hose over an area and wait a few seconds and feel the paint there it is completely dry. The major parts of the paint are so dry instantly that you cannot use a silicone squeegee, it tries to stick to the dry paint. If you had a decent angle to park on you could probably get all the water to fall off as you wash it and not have to dry it at all. There is one problem, you have to use alot of soap and rinse it really quick or the the water just runs off it and leaves a soapy residue.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 11-27-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to see your engineprojects fail, but you listen to the wrong people.

As I said earlier, your engineconcept has been tried before without success.

No one has put more R&D into raceboat diesels than Fabio Buzzi and everytime he ends up with
multiple engines in his raceboats.

To reach your goals you need to go back to your original idea with mildly tuned 4 x Cummins 6,7.

...and you melt a piston in a diesel with very high PFP(Peak Firing Pressure) or to much fuel...not to little..
Old 11-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Perhaps this is a constructive weathering of the ultimate goal. Keep the faith and battling!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

At what point do the "leaders" find too much fuel is cooling off the egt? I found about 20% past peak power and 30% past safe would cool the egt back down. It was enough to lose significant power. I'm no gale banks but have over 1000 hours data logging and tuning. Please don't take that as a cocky remark, wish some of those guys would've answered the phone when I called. Nearly 15 years ago I wanted to build common rail injectors with a more narrow spray pattern and more holes vs opening what was there.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

What was your timing and EGTs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.