Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's like spending 2.9 million on a 525
Old 12-16-2017, 07:40 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
we were originally planning a lot bigger boat and actually did some research on small nuclear power. There are actually companies trying to make small nuclear power plants. You can technically buy one that would have 50 megawatts which is the equivalent of 67,000 hp. It's only the size of a refrigerator and we would not need to stop for fuel going all the way around the world. But I did not have the $400 million laying around to get one, and I doubt my background check would allow me to get the fuel for it. Not counting that it would be pretty dangerous to put in a high speed boat

There's an elderly female author in NY that may be able to hook you up.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
There's an elderly female author in NY that may be able to hook you up.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:28 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m sure it’s all been discussed, but I missed the specs on the cummins. Wondering if adding oversized and multiple oil cooling jets wouldn’t be helpful. Could be plumbed from an oversized dry sump system.

IMHumbleO there are only two ways to explore this topic of engine longevity. 1) have the billions to do proper R&D or 2) keep building and find the weak link, solve the problem, test, fail, solve, repeat.

For this type of project I’m going to bet Tyson comes out financially ahead doing it the way he is now.

My .02
Old 12-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 999JAY
Photos speak a thousand words, when we going to see the destruction?
These are the only pics I have of the "destruction". There was not much wrong. It definitely did not do what Lavon's engine did on the dyno. Could you imagine what would happen if it blew up like the dyno video while you were running 130 MPH. There's not much that scares me but that probably would, much less the boat would probably burn down.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-piston4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-piston-5.jpg  
Old 12-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
I understand the technical and financial challenges associated with developing a small displacement, reliable 1000hp+ marine diesel engine. As many of you have correctly pointed out, no one, including the multi-billion dollar diesel OEM’s, have ever built an engine like we are attempting to develop. Is it foolish to even try – probably. Is it impossible to accomplish – very likely. However, when I am on my death bed, I don’t want to look back on my life and remember the one time I lifted. The one time I took the easy path when I thought I had a chance to do something that everyone said couldn’t be done. 99% of all inovations in the world are not done by big corporations, or even by experts in the trade, they are done by someone that thinks outside the box and does not give up when things do not go right.

Is there a risk that we will never get an engine to work and do what we want? Yes, but everyone views risk differently. To me, wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars and years of my life trying to build the impossible is not risky at all because you cannot take the money with you when you die. I would rather people remember me by the things I attempted/accomplished and the life I lived instead of the money I had. I know this set of engines may not live just like the last few sets we have tried, but I will not give up I will just keep trying different things till something works. I will never settle for second best and say, well lets just do what everyone else does, that is just not me.
Perfectly said. I too follow this path, certainly not on the scale you have. certainly not boat related but back in 2001-2002 I wanted to airbag a 2001 2dr Chevy Blazer and lay it on its frame, but didn't want to cut the floor. Evey one of the "experts" told me it couldn't be done. in 2003 at the Detroit Autorama I had the guys from Airlift poking their head under my Blazer because it was laying on its frame with the stock floor. I certainly didn't take the risks you have and i definitely didn't have the money invested you do... But there is a level of self satisfaction that has no dollar amount, doing what others say can't be done. There have been plenty of things I have failed at as well, but having failed on my own terms was more satisfying then succeeding doing things that have already been done...
Old 12-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Registered

That looks amazing! Great work!
Old 12-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

[QUOTE=low_psi;4600013] in 2003 at the Detroit Autorama I had the guys from Airlift poking their head under my Blazer because it was laying on its frame with the stock floor. QUOTE]

The first time I had my 2 speed marine transmission on display at the Miami boat show the Mercury engineers came by and were looking at it real close, then they ask how long it was and I said about 12" . They ask if I minded if they measured it, I said go ahead. They were there for 20 minutes literally laying on the ground underneath it measuring everything on it. At one point I ask them if they just wanted the engineering drawings and they said sure if you don't mind.... yes, actually I do mind. Then that night I had wrapped a black blanket around the transmission and zip tied it around the bottom of the transmission and had a gopro camera sitting up in the corner of the booth recording and at about 1 a.m. you can see the same guys come in and cut the zip tie and unbolt the oil pan from the bottom and they were looking up in it from laying on the ground with a flash light. They were there about 30 min and left and got a zip tie and re zip tied the blanket around it. Fast forward a couple years and I had the rotary engine on display at the Miami boat show and the same exact thing happened except that time before I had watched the cameras a security guard came by and wanted me to inspect the engine and make sure nothing was wrong because he caught 3 guys measuring it and taking pics of it and they had a tool box with them late the night before and he had taken copies of each of there drivers licenses, it was the same guys...
Old 12-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Do you know what size injectors, pulse width in ms, and timing at cruise speed to peak power? Looks of those crowns the injectors are spraying way out side the bowl. With your means and drive for this project that shouldn't be too hard to overcome.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:43 PM
Registered
VIP Member

[QUOTE=BigSilverCat;4600048]
Originally Posted by low_psi
in 2003 at the Detroit Autorama I had the guys from Airlift poking their head under my Blazer because it was laying on its frame with the stock floor. QUOTE]

The first time I had my 2 speed marine transmission on display at the Miami boat show the Mercury engineers came by and were looking at it real close, then they ask how long it was and I said about 12" . They ask if I minded if they measured it, I said go ahead. They were there for 20 minutes literally laying on the ground underneath it measuring everything on it. At one point I ask them if they just wanted the engineering drawings and they said sure if you don't mind.... yes, actually I do mind. Then that night I had wrapped a black blanket around the transmission and zip tied it around the bottom of the transmission and had a gopro camera sitting up in the corner of the booth recording and at about 1 a.m. you can see the same guys come in and cut the zip tie and unbolt the oil pan from the bottom and they were looking up in it from laying on the ground with a flash light. They were there about 30 min and left and got a zip tie and re zip tied the blanket around it. Fast forward a couple years and I had the rotary engine on display at the Miami boat show and the same exact thing happened except that time before I had watched the cameras a security guard came by and wanted me to inspect the engine and make sure nothing was wrong because he caught 3 guys measuring it and taking pics of it and they had a tool box with them late the night before and he had taken copies of each of there drivers licenses, it was the same guys...
priceless!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.