Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 01-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My gosh, the scenery is unreal. So, I have to ask, when are you planning on making the major run? I find the diligence, knowledge and raw talent you've exhibited throughout this endeavor amazing. Not many people could pull all of those components together all at once. Given that, you'll break every record on the books and yours will stand for a very long time. Inspiring to say the least
Old 01-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 999JAY
Here's one of my turbos off my motors what size inducer and exducer you running?
I made a video of one of the turbos were going to use.

Industrial Injection has a few turbos in stock. Having all these turbo options will make it easier to get the boat to run right now that they have been in the boat and have logs of what the boat is wanting for power and when.
link to click on to see video below
Originally Posted by BigSilverCat

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 01-08-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

Saved ya a screenshot capture from the lake webcam.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-lake1.jpg  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:24 PM
Registered

We decided to pull the port engine out to mock up and dyno test a different turbo setup, we left the starboard engine in for measurements. We are doing compound turbos now and will have different turbos, manifold, ect. and the starboard turbos/piping, ect will be close to the wall so it will give us something to look at to make sure it clears the edge of the boat. Once we are happy with the new setup we will pull the starboard engine and dyno it also.

We decided to pull the port engine out to mock up and dyno test a different turbo setup, we left the starboard engine in for measurements. We are doing compound turbos now and will have different turbos, manifold, ect. and the starboard turbos/piping, ect will be close to the wall so it will give us something to look at to make sure it clears the edge of the boat. Once we are happy with the new setup we will pull the starboard engine and dyno it also.

https://youtu.be/WGrzF1gwHro
​​​​​​​
Old 01-10-2018, 09:49 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://youtu.be/WGrzF1gwHro

That's about the same speed you used to work on Freedom US1 on a poker run so we would make it to the bikini contest on time! Lol I knew you were fast!! Great job and good luck!! I'm sure you will be successful!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Are you teaching the guys at Industrial Injection any tricks on wrenching on the Cummins? lol Keep up the good work, seems like now you are headed in the right direction.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Registered

We pulled the engine out and it was hanging from the crane and I left at 11 am to go put the boat into a storage building and fly home. At my layover at the Dallas airport at around 5 PM I get a text from them with pics of the manifold changed to a different one with a wastegate on it, and the turbos and piping all mocked up. That was pretty quick.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-compound-turbo-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-compound-turbo-2.jpg  
Old 01-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Looking very impressive, as apposed to running the two turbos in series "compound" would it not be better to run them in parallel with a programmable switch over valve so one spools up first then the second comes in at a predetermined speed.
This would reduce back pressure and help elevate lag,

The setup looks like its going to be putting on a bit weight with the turbos and overdrive box, have you estimated what this might be? not that it makes that much difference on a 46 endurance machine, better to be a bit heavier and hold together.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Registered

Compound turbos:

Plumbing is pretty much done on the compound turbos.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-compound-turbo-3.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-compound-turbo-4.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 01-12-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size are the turbos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.