Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 01-12-2018, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

when and where will you water test

Last edited by outonsafari; 01-12-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 559 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by 999JAY
Looking very impressive, as apposed to running the two turbos in series "compound" would it not be better to run them in parallel with a programmable switch over valve so one spools up first then the second comes in at a predetermined speed.
This would reduce back pressure and help elevate lag,

The setup looks like its going to be putting on a bit weight with the turbos and overdrive box, have you estimated what this might be? not that it makes that much difference on a 46 endurance machine, better to be a bit heavier and hold together.
That would be my preference. Parallel twins with an actuator exhaust gate. We’ve had some great results in a boat with that setup.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Shame you couldn't have done a parallel setup also it would have been great to see the difference in the torque curve on the dyno between the two.

Do you know if industrial have ever done any back to back test between the two setups.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 559 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by 999JAY
Shame you couldn't have done a parallel setup also it would have been great to see the difference in the torque curve on the dyno between the two.

Do you know if industrial have ever done any back to back test between the two setups.
We reduced the time to plane off on a 70’ sporty from 30ish seconds to around 5. Merritt complained that people were flying off the back of the flybridge and asked us to dial it down a bit.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 162 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Merritt complained that people were flying off the back of the flybridge and asked us to dial it down a bit.
An early contender for post of the year.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

We are doing compound turbos instead of doing twin turbos that are in parallel with a bypass valve because we are wanting higher boost pressure along with the quicker spool up time.

Most turbos are designed around having an efficiency range in the 30-40 psi range. If we did parallel twins we could not really run a higher boost, just the ability to spool quicker and have lower exhaust temp at high rpm. But we are wanting a higher hp and the most fuel efficiency we can get. By having the turbos compounded we can run each turbo in its designed boost range and end up with 70-80 lbs of boost to be able to make more total hp and the same hp with less fuel.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by turbom700
What size are the turbos?
They have tried two or three small turbos and two or three big turbos already, trying to get the best spool up and lowest egt's. Next week there going to try a lot smaller high pressure turbo and a bigger atmosphere charger. There are millions of options of wheel size, ratio combinations, and that goes up by exponent using a compound turbo so they are making drastic changes to narrow down the range they need to look in. And we are not doing the "hey this is what everyone does" mentality. We are trying things that may not work but would not know till we try. Right now they are in the 81 1.15 small charger and 93 1.35 large charger range. Making around 65 PSI at 3800 rpm at 1200 hp and 1200 egt. I want to run a smaller little charger to have the boost gauge move with the throttle. Something like a 63-67 mm It will make the boat more usable when throttling in the rough water.

Here is video of it running on the dyno, the intake tube will be different when its in the boat. The dyno uses a different bellhousing and starter location so the intercooler has to be turned around. In the boat the intake tube will run around the back side of the engine.

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 01-13-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

If you are looking for boost in that range I would agree compound is the way to go as each charger will give you an efficient compression ratio of around 2-1.
The smaller charger should help low down torque especially if you decide to go with the overdrive gearbox.

How did you get on with the drive ratio, boat seemed to be performing well enough with the 1-1 setup are you still thinking of overdrive?
I would imagine with 1200hp at 3800 rpm and 1-1 ratio you are going to run out of prop options unless you do so, are custom props an option with huge pitch? only down side a big pitch prop isn't as efficient as a smaller prop running higher rpms and the larger pitch prop will certainly need vent tubes to get her on plane.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
They have tried two or three small turbos and two or three big turbos already, trying to get the best spool up and lowest egt's. Next week there going to try a lot smaller high pressure turbo and a bigger atmosphere charger. There are millions of options of wheel size, ratio combinations, and that goes up by exponent using a compound turbo so they are making drastic changes to narrow down the range they need to look in. And we are not doing the "hey this is what everyone does" mentality. We are trying things that may not work but would not know till we try. Right now they are in the 81 1.15 small charger and 93 1.35 large charger range. Making around 65 PSI at 3800 rpm at 1200 hp and 1200 egt. I want to run a smaller little charger to have the boost gauge move with the throttle. Something like a 63-67 mm It will make the boat more usable when throttling in the rough water.

Here is video of it running on the dyno, the intake tube will be different when its in the boat. The dyno uses a different bellhousing and starter location so the intercooler has to be turned around. In the boat the intake tube will run around the back side of the engine.
https://youtu.be/03R2GZO2miQ
I'm a little surprised that at 3800rpm your egt are that high with that large of turbo's(respectively) What's the temp drop across the water to air intercooler? Turbo's seem close to what I would suggest, and your nuts on, on keeping a smaller charger for quick spool then gating around it for high rpm and boost.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbom700
I'm a little surprised that at 3800rpm your egt are that high with that large of turbo's(respectively) What's the temp drop across the water to air intercooler? Turbo's seem close to what I would suggest, and your nuts on, on keeping a smaller charger for quick spool then gating around it for high rpm and boost.
funny I thought 1200 was on the low side considering that is WOT. making that much HP. I'm no expert just my initial impression.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.