Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought a couple of go-pros so I would have video of running at havasu but forgot to turn them on when we were running, but here is video of un-tilting the boat at Lake Havasu, running up and down the channel. And Baca's girlfriend loading the boat onto the trailer. She did a pretty good job for her first time.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

sucks the port motor developed an issue.
can industrial injection do the rebuild or does it have to go to another specialized shop for that ?

how did it run up to the point the engine was hurt ?
did the compound turbos perform as expected c/w coming on plane, accelerating, etc.?

about the pistons expanding more than or faster than the block.
i'd guess you don't want the closed cooling for weight and plumbing issues because of the turbos, but is there anyway
a stock circulation pump and custom thermostat housing could be used ?
water coming in the boat would go thru the coolers, thru the thermostat (depending if open) taking what it needed to maintain block water temp.
all the rest would go straight overboard.

Last edited by outonsafari; 03-20-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't read all of this 170 page thread, just skimmed through it. Your plan was to circumvent the planet? You have clear valve covers and no flex or not much flex in your turbo system, just to a few things noticed. Light duty GM engines? Looks like someone has spent an awful( in more ways than one) lot of money. Good luck. Regards, Andy.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy
I haven't read all of this 170 page thread, just skimmed through it. Your plan was to circumvent the planet? You have clear valve covers and no flex or not much flex in your turbo system, just to a few things noticed. Light duty GM engines? Looks like someone has spent an awful( in more ways than one) lot of money. Good luck. Regards, Andy.
I'm far from a mechanic but I do know you should read more of this thread prior to making statements like that. This man is putting his heart and soul into this project, please show some respect.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

I never said it was going to be easy. The turbo and exhaust system are just temporary, once we have what we want it will all be redone with waterjacketed stainless or cast parts. I'm not using light duty gm engines, I'm using Industrial designed engines (see what I did there)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

I was down at my favorite welders shop today, and he was working on a couple props that made me think of you.. 64" pitch 4 blade stainless cleavers...

A little aged and a little tweaked, but pretty sure there is enough meat left that you could cut em down to fit...

Cheers

-K

Old 03-21-2018, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Stack this one in there somewhere.

86 Jeep Cherokee 2.1L innercooled turbo diesel. Showed up at my shop. I've never seen one. It's \"cute".
Old 03-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lake p.a.l.
I'm far from a mechanic but I do know you should read more of this thread prior to making statements like that. This man is putting his heart and soul into this project, please show some respect.
I do realize the heart and soul thing. I have built a few projects myself. The owner should talk to anyone who has attempted a long distance run and adjust there thoughts accordingly. This project must be close to the million dollar mark now if not more. Once again, best regards, Andy.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

The owner should talk to anyone who has attempted a long distance run and adjust there thoughts accordingly. .
Having successfully completed the Bermuda Challenge twice (and current title holder) doesn't qualify as having some background in long distance challenges?

Last edited by speicher lane; 03-21-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:58 PM
Registered

Subscribed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.