Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Removing compass and using hole in dash to mount Garmin...looking for ideas. >

Removing compass and using hole in dash to mount Garmin...looking for ideas.

Notices

Removing compass and using hole in dash to mount Garmin...looking for ideas.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. Spend time on inland lakes, and it is great for that. I also hooked up the smartcraft to the network for both engines. This gives you some redundant gauges that work really nice. My favorite aspect is that you can see the actual fuel burn, and then it shows you exactly the fuel left...no more estimates for the amount of fuel in your tank. Has lots of features that are very handy.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Revspan
I like it. Spend time on inland lakes, and it is great for that. I also hooked up the smartcraft to the network for both engines. This gives you some redundant gauges that work really nice. My favorite aspect is that you can see the actual fuel burn, and then it shows you exactly the fuel left...no more estimates for the amount of fuel in your tank. Has lots of features that are very handy.

What was needed to hook the smartcraft up? that's exactly what i'm looking for.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My boat, which is a 2014 had the network(NMEA2000) ports right under the helm. I had to buy a "NMEA Starter kit" and then just connected everything. Had minimal configuration to do....most was all there at the first startup, and has worked flawless since.
My recommendation is to pull your dash panel and look to see if the NMEA cables were run by Formula to your helm. If they were, it will be easy. If not, you have more cable work to do. BTW, I was surprised that the network cables were installed, then simply terminated under the helm of my boat as there was no use for them as the boat was build. This is the sign of quality with Formula as they install the cables as standard equipment so the addition of equipment is easier.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Revspan
My favorite aspect is that you can see the actual fuel burn, and then it shows you exactly the fuel left...no more estimates for the amount of fuel in your tank. Has lots of features that are very handy.
I agree. It's great. I like that while you're just out for a cruise, you can tweak you throttles/drives/tabs to max out your fuel economy, real time.

Technology is sweet. lol.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it installed yesterday thanks for all the help.

I will be adding the needed harness' to get the smart craft hooked to it very soon.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPIII
What was needed to hook the smartcraft up? that's exactly what i'm looking for.
You will need the NMEA 2K gateway to convert CAN to NMEA 2K. Engine NMEA 2000 Gateway Module Part # 84-8M0105243