Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT: Calling all Web Graphic Designers on Fla. west coast or anywhere else... >

OT: Calling all Web Graphic Designers on Fla. west coast or anywhere else...

Notices

OT: Calling all Web Graphic Designers on Fla. west coast or anywhere else...

Old 09-23-2002, 04:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT: Calling all Web Graphic Designers on Fla. west coast or anywhere else...

Need your help and advise.

My wife wil be graduating from college next spring with an AS degree and will be in the market for a job in website design, graphics and/or animation.
Would like to stay in Florida but willing to relocate if necessary.
What does the job market look like for some one just starting out?
Are there companies that you know of in the Orlando area?
How's the FL Gulf Coast look? Or any where else. NJ, NY, CA, VA?
What type of pay scale could she expect? I know, that's a tough question.

She would like to continue her schooling (Bachelor's Degree) but that all depends on where she finds work. If we go to the Gulf Coast she could look into the Ringling School (not the circus ) or switch to another campus of International Academy of Design and Technology (currently enrolled in the Orlando campus). If we stay here, we found that Universal Studios offers a course in computer graphics and animation. Maybe she'll look into that.

Any information and advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTT
Old 09-23-2002, 08:07 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try contacting Ryan Beckly. I'm sure he can help.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:50 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Iggy, Unfortunately website design is a hard one to get into at the moment. With all the dot coms going under it has created a glut of Webmasters, and a lot of them have tons of experience. Try the bigger companies, just about all of them have IT departments. Graphic design would probably be an easier field to find work in at the moment, but it really depends on your market. I have no idea what Florida is like for design, but be persistent and get her portfolio out there, There is nothing better than exposure. If she's into animation, the place to be is on the west coast, mainly LA. Try Disney, they often have openings or at the very least could possibly direct you to other places to look. Your right there next to Disney World and they have an employment center right in your neighborhood. As for pay, out here in Seattle, graphic designers pay scales really depend on who you work for. I have seen jobs as low as 22k and as high as 50-60 plus. Just be persistent and don't get discouraged, art can be a tough field when your first starting out.

Les
Old 09-23-2002, 11:13 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

web design is a toughey. I have many years experience and done some pretty decent sized stuff and foudn it very difficult to egta job workign for afirm. I still do my own stuff and am happier that way. The $$$ (not very stable but in decent amount) is good I can make my own hours and its a challenge. If he can find some clients and break out on her own she can make good $$$ that way but just has to be willign to take on all respobsibilities.

If she wants to go eth corperate route OSO might be hiring
Old 09-24-2002, 09:55 AM
TulsaLarry

To just throw in another idea, my daughter does this type of work for a large church. She is not getting rich at the church but the exposure has brought a lot of customers that she works for on the side.