Notices

Good Boats < $18K

Old 03-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottgjerdingen
Wow - thanks for the great info and by no means stop adding to the list!

In response to some questions asked:

TOMMYMONZA - I have the 19ft w/ 550hp and am in need of a better outdrive than the old VP280 that is on there no.

DONZI MATT & 92nsx - I hear ya on the biggest I can afford (“go big or go home” :-) ), however, I am not looking to get a new tow vehicle, I have an F150 that was purchased to haul horses around and I think some of these bigger boats are way more than it can handle. It is also a lot harder to find dock space around me for the larger boats.

One other question I have is when doing this “internet shopping”? Getting a surveyor to check out the boat and a mechanic to check out engines I am guessing will cost upwards of $700-$1,000. Shipping (obviously based on distance) would probably be $1,500. fFight to see it around $300-$700. I’m starting to wonder if for a boat in my price range I should simply put “pre-purchase” inspection $’s and flight $’s towards potential repairs and simply buy something sight unseen? Obviously I would do as much homework as I could to mitigate risk. How bad of an idea is this?

Lastly, while checking out some of your suggestions I ran across I have never seen before a 1995 OBSESSION POWERBOATS 242 TORRENT - http://www.grandsportcenter.com/pop-...ts-242-torrent
Should something like this be added to my “for consideration” list?
A couple last thoughts. That 1995 Obsession is not that nice in person, it appears to be a very poorly constructed boat in the flesh. Grand Sport Center is a great dealer and they specialize in the performance boat category. Your idea of keeping a cushion for unforeseen and repairs is a good idea, a lot of these guys are telling to you go as big as possible or to go to your max budget or even beyond but keep one thing in mind, things break and we all have the modification bug so I personally would buy something a little under your max and have some spare change for little upgrades or any little problems that might crop up....but that's just me.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a nice 10 meter Fountain , its actually in the boat trader listing 302 sport put up, the one from Groton , Ct. $15,000 takes it , with trailer , spare drive and drive parts and lots of spares. Very good original gel coat, recent upholstery, very respectable boat. PM me if you have questions.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Registered

FLATLANDERBILL - thanks for the offer, but 30ft is just to big for me.

PARTLOWR - Thanks very much for your offer, I may take you up on it. I am in Minneapolis and there appear to be a great number of nice boats in Chicago!

Any thoughts on the 1989 24' Warlock 23? I found one w/o an engine and I have a fresh and beefy 454 I could toss in it. I think recall several years ago reading a lot of positive things about the warlock (but I don't recall specifically what they were.

I don't know if I am opening a can of worms here, but there seems to be varying opinions on the 1 large engine vs. 2 smaller engine options. Any preferences here and if so why?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scottgjerdingen
The 24ft Baja with juice is a boat near or at the top of my list. c_deezy - can you send me a link to your rebuild thread?
Here it is: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...ld-thread.html

I still have some finishing work to do in the cuddy, house project has taken priority but plan to work on it in a month or so.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Registered

.....double post....
Old 03-15-2016, 05:53 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would skip the VIP and the 1996 Caravelle totally.

2006 Caravelle way better built. VIP do not have quality built into their boats. They do not even ride that well.

If I had a choice I would look for a 252 / 253 Cobalt 1997 year model range for the 18 to 22 k - if you can find one for that.

Find one with a Volvo DP outdrive and a big block, you would be doing well. Depending on shape of course.

Most Cobalt owners are proud of their boats money wise but keep them in good shape, once in awhile you can find at a steal because they bought a newer bigger Cobalt..

Alot of 80's boats can have wood rot issues and the same goes for early 90's boats.

Last edited by BUP; 03-15-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

For that kind of coin, and waterways mentioned, I'd look into an older Baja or perhaps a Stingray.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:42 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I understand your price range - haggle or look for this in your price range. Better than what was on your list and they run very well not the fastest but handle well in 3 ft and down rough. Try to look at the pics. The quality and fit finish for a production built boat is by far better than what was in your first post.

https://www.popyachts.com/boats-for-...alt-253-101432

Last edited by BUP; 03-15-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 590 Likes on 240 Posts

The 25 Baja Outlawis a killer big little boat but man they command a big price even for the older ones.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 590 Likes on 240 Posts

The 25 Baja Outlaw is a killer big little boat but man they command a big price, even for the older ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.