Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
18' powerplay hull expectations.. >

18' powerplay hull expectations..

Notices

18' powerplay hull expectations..

Old 02-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 579 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Re: 18' powerplay hull expectations..

Hey Travis could you be A little more specific next time!

Just kidding.

Travis definitely sounds like you v'e reached near the end of the spectrum for small block power .I think the only way for you to go here is drive changes or heights.What year is your drive and what generation is it.I have an early Alpha from 1989 and another Alpha and transom assembly from 2003.I don't know how to identify the generations and what internal differences they are,do you?I,m happy to here your drive is handling all that power and it doesn't sound like your to easy on the throttle and boat.I bought a Bravo 1 years ago because I thought the Alpha 1 would never handle the power.Been hesitant to put it on because of the increased drag and weight ,plus i need to spend another 2300 on a transom assembly.Are you running any mufflers,I see Woogie has the Shotguns wondered how good they worked .I need some for around here the DNR and the bluehairs are every where ,brought the boat down to the boat ramp last year to run it and adjust the shift cutout and wasn't there five minutes and the DNR said to shut it down and i never got off the trailer,gotta love those CMI headers.One thing i definitely want is external steering are you running this Travis,I had a almost fatal accident that happened 20 years ago in a Baron because of steering arm failure .Baronmarine are you out there or are you buried in some snowdrift.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep telling travis he needs external steering!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Registered

Yea i would be a little leery of running at those speeds without it.Took me a couple of months to get crazy again on lake michigan after my little incident.

Waterfoul where in GR do you live?I grew up around burton and breton as a kid and then moved to forest hills before moving to Florida.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Registered

hey foul did you ever get a motor.I just took a 454 out of my buddies ski boat that he had me replace.It is a salt water motor but has been regularly flushed and ran good when took out,never any water in the oil or anything like that.It does need a set of heads though,but the price is right if you interested.Just a short block is all it is .
Old 02-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I got a long block from Audiofn last fall.... still need to put it together though.

Currently I live near Burlingame and Burton. Grew up in Byron Center. Don't you miss Lake Michigan?? NO SALT!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

only salt here is on the roads.
traviss: take it from crash monza you need hyd. steering. when monza crashed his ex got hurt pretty good.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Registered

I went for a ride in an older hot little Pantera with a guy i didn't know a couple years ago and after watching him fight the slop in the steering i practically begged him to bring me back to my boat.Don't ever want to experience another hard left at 60 again,much less at 70 or 80.

Baronmarine have any luck with that freeplay guy?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Waterfoul
I keep telling travis he needs external steering!!!

Yeah yeah yeah Everyone tells me that. I know its the right thing to do, but it just bugs me to spend all that money and it don't go any faster :rolleys: ( my imature side) If I do anything I will probably just put a drew marine stabalizer on it. Before we put stabalizers on my dads boat i took measurements and held them up on mine. My boat has no room for any extra steering on the transom. If I raise the X dimension enough I might be able to clear a few things to be able to use a stabalizer. I might even have to sacrafice a swim platform on one side to be able to run a stabalizer.

Today I visted 2 local fiberglass shops. Ask them if they had any experiance raising the X dimension, AKA plugging and raising the drive assembly hole!!! they all looked at me wierd and wondered why So I am in the search of a nice shop capable of doing this and giving me a price.

ok enough boat talk... one more month of sleddin then we can think boats
Old 02-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

traviss: call sabre marine they will glass the transom and install that new steering system for you. 616-837-6442
todd
Old 02-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Registered

thanks todd. where they located.

. I can install steering. Only hard part is waiting for someone to give me the steering setup free

Quick Reply: 18' powerplay hull expectations..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.