Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
You Can Still Buy a Sterndrive Boat for Under $10K! >

You Can Still Buy a Sterndrive Boat for Under $10K!

Notices

You Can Still Buy a Sterndrive Boat for Under $10K!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default You Can Still Buy a Sterndrive Boat for Under $10K!

I just got back from the L.A. Boat Show, and was amazed that you can still buy a sterndrive boat for under $10,000. As many would guess, the boat was a Bayliner, their 175 model with a Merc 3.0/Alpha for $9999.

Now I'll probably get flamed for saying this on this board, but honestly, the quality wasn't bad. In fact, it seemed like Bayliner may have stepped up their quality from the boats of a few years ago. The sides of their small boats were straighter than some of the custom built boats at the show, and things did seem to fit pretty well. The windshields were made of scratch resistant glass, rather than Plexiglas. Gel was vinylester, and glass was handlaid. It even had a full set of guages, including trim. Not bad for $10K.

Michael
Old 02-11-2008, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After yesterdays events, I may just buy one in Miami. At least these guys get out on the water, I had one leave the ramp same time as me yesterday, and came back to the ramp same time, I got towed back, they didnt!!! (and the dudes wife made a comment to that effect)
Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
After yesterdays events, I may just buy one in Miami. At least these guys get out on the water, I had one leave the ramp same time as me yesterday, and came back to the ramp same time, I got towed back, they didnt!!! (and the dudes wife made a comment to that effect)
What happened??? Didn't you just replace an engine a few weeks ago?

On the water is on the water, it doesn't matter what kind of boat!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by OldSchool

Had a brand new Mercury coil come apart, and I believe it arced, and blew the ECU, after the towboat ride home, I was too upset, and drunk to diagnose fully yesterday.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first boat was a Bayliner 19'BR with a 90hp Force motor on it. It was probably the most trouble free boat I have ever owned. Every weekend we took it to the lake. Always started and ran good enough to pull 2 skiers. Put several hundred hours on it without a problem. We paid less than 10K for it and sold it for about the same. Now I spend that much a year in fuel and maintenance.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179154 see pages 2 and 3
Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerritm
My first boat was a Bayliner 19'BR with a 90hp Force motor on it. It was probably the most trouble free boat I have ever owned. Every weekend we took it to the lake. Always started and ran good enough to pull 2 skiers. Put several hundred hours on it without a problem. We paid less than 10K for it and sold it for about the same. Now I spend that much a year in fuel and maintenance.
How true, my first one was a 18 ft Checkmate with a 150 Hp Mercury outboard. It was equipped with a ski pylon and seated roughly 6 and plenty of cooler space. We used 6 gallon tank after 6 gallon tank and it always ran like a top. I would be scared to know if we put less than 3-400 hours on it and now our last years boat insurance premium was more than I paid for the Checkmate. Funny!!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Seems like I always have more fun on the cheaper boats. Probobly because I'm not as worried I will screw something up.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Racer
Racer

I have the new 21' center console with a Merc 200. It is a blast with decent quality. Only complaint is it pretty slow.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the water is on the water, it doesn't matter what kind of boat!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

So true. 10k really opens up boating to a lot of young families out there. And that 3.0 iron duke, will just about run forever.

Darrell.

Quick Reply: You Can Still Buy a Sterndrive Boat for Under $10K!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.