Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   trs to #3's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33679-trs-3s.html)

dreamer 09-25-2002 01:58 PM

trs to #3's

1) is it possible)
2) any gains? #3 over trs or is it apples and oranges!
3) if possible how much?
thanks

Gary Anderson 09-25-2002 03:14 PM

Do a search in the tech area. This is covered pretty well.
It involves, glassing, new tranny, full external steering, and moving the engine.
Gary

eMotiondriver 09-25-2002 03:53 PM

TRS to #3 is a direct bolt on. It will raise your X dimension and you
will pick up some mph. Props are not cheap. A friend and I were just talking about doing the same on his boat.

MrCIG 09-25-2002 04:36 PM

Trs to #3 is NOT a direct bolt on.
As Gary said there is alot involved see tech area

Trs to #2 Speedmaster is a direct bolt on.

Mark

Madcow 09-25-2002 06:52 PM

A # 2 speedmaster is an inch and a half LOWER so it will lower your X. It's also about 3 inces longer so hydaulic steering is stronly recomended.

glassdave 09-25-2002 07:32 PM

the #2 also requires more HP to operate . unless you are boosting horsepower you could actually go slower with that option. besides they are very hard to come by these days. good luck which ever you choose :cool:

DJD 09-25-2002 08:56 PM

F'ING COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just typed out the whole process of changing to SSM3 from TRS & got booted before I could post it.
In a nut shell....
Gut your engine compartment
Glass up transom (at least 4-5" of the bottom of the existing hole)
Carefully measure out the drive (drive shaft to prop shaft.
My Cig has no steps, pads or notches in the bottom & we went with 4" prop shaft below the bottom.
Most riggers will suggest 3-1/2 to 5" with 3-1/2 being the minimum to get on plane without alot of trouble.
Find someone (Lake X) with a SSM jig to get all the holes drilled right.
Your engines will have to be moved back approx. 3" (SSM trans tailstock is shorter than TRS.
Hang motor/s from hoist to measure your new hight. Make new mounts with 3/8" alum angle iron.
Invent shift cable brackets & misc BS.
Gain: 4 mph, awsome rooster tail and no more TRS bombs going south when your far from home!
Thanks Russ Houston & Expo for all the help!!!!!!!!!!
Any questions, pm me
Dave

DEVIL MAN 09-26-2002 12:41 PM

DJD and Gary are telling it like it is!!! I did it to my old 38 Fountain...just had too much HP for the TRS drives. The #3's were extremely reliable and worked well....I then took the 3's off and put on a pair of big shaft 4's and look out....five more miles per hour, an awesome rooster tail and a lot slower to get on plane. It is a fairly intense project, but it does work. Best of luck!

DMan

DEVIL MAN 09-26-2002 12:42 PM

Dreamer....what kind of boat are you doing this to and how much horsepower are you running?

DMan

eMotiondriver 09-26-2002 12:49 PM

You are correct sir, it was #2's.