Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WTF is retirement?
Old 05-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Tell me again the last hurricane to hit Florida?
LOL Yeah that means one is due REALLY soon!
Old 05-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
WTF is retirement?
Something we have enjoyed since May 2008. Actually I call it not having to work anymore.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF
Wilma in 2005 I believe...but every year is a wait and see.
Interesting

I lived here 30+ years and never feel that way at all.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Love how FL gets that placed on it while twisters, blizzards, and other natural disasters happen often in places but are totally looked over.

Just say you hate the state and stop making excuses.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Florida born and raised. Always plan to have a place here. In the future we hope to have a Summer house on LOTO.

That being said I thought that Lake havasu would be a cool place to "retire". Lots of houses being built with DOUBLE RV/Boat garages and 2-4 car regular garages. Not too expensive, fresh water lakes and one of the best car places in the country. Add in Vegas/Cali/Grand Canyon all within a few hours and it's nice option. One I think my brother(also Fla native) is seriously considering.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Bingo^^^
Old 05-14-2016, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Shhh^^
Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
I like the 12-13 theory.....you get one every 12-13 years. David in 1979, Andrew 1992, Frances/Jean 2004, Wilma/Charlie 2005.

Of course theories like this are why people buy lottery tickets with the same numbers every week and you can see how well that works for most people!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With the ability to rent a place short or long term about anywhere in the world, I will not likely buy anywhere.

I'll have a nice CC (would be the Mystic if it was today) and a Pilatus that I would put on a lease back charter. Most of the guys I've talked to with these planes can more than cover their operating costs and have seen their planes appreciate.

I will spend a lot of time in South Beach, the Keys, US and BVIs, Bahamas, Mexico, and of course LOTO in the summers.

I have rented in all of these places (except BVIs - going this summer) and just loathe the thought of another home to take care of. I love the freedom of changing my mind and giving back the keys to the owner when I'm ready to move on to the next destination.

I think South Florida will always be our anchor point where we keep the CC and just move it around wherever we go.

One thing that might make sense for us is a smaller yacht that would be able to move about all these places. I have spotted a few 70-80 footers under $750k that I could live on comfortably. I'm not sure I could afford the dockage and maintenance in retirement because I'm not a handyman. I've heard that annual costs for a megayacht is 10% of the purchase price. I don't think that holds true for smaller yachts - it may be 20% or more.

I think a lot of "where" depends on what age you are. I'm an ortho doc who takes care of 100+ people a week x 12 years = 60,000 patient encounters. Here is my observations about the human capabilities (in general, yes there are exceptions):

50 year olds - go like 20 year olds....This is the ideal time to go after it and have fun, Very few health issues that slow you down

Low to mid 60s - "if" you have stayed in shape, can still go pretty hard charging. Have all your motor skills (i.e. will still be a good navigator, boat driver, not fall into the water and die, not slip at Dennys and break a hip). Like to be around young people.

Upper 60s to low 70s - start to get "tired". These people can still be active and in shape but seem to enjoy just chillin'. They seem to have as much fun watching their grandkids t-ball game as watching a bikini contest. This group still hates the cold and likes to bug out in the winter. They also like to be around others their age. They are kinda done with the younger crowd.

Mid to high 70s - not much happening here. Most spend 40 days a year at the doctor. Can't move well. Have some decreased motor skills (wobbly on their feet, rotator cuffs wore out, backs wore out, knees wore out). Somewhat of a ticking time bomb. My active 77 year olds with money take a lot of cruises. I would say less than 5% of them could walk to the marina, prepare the boat, safely operate the boat, dock the boat, tie up the boat and be able to get out of the boat onto the dock.

Over 80....well....They enjoy going to the doctor because it's the only time they get out of the house. When they fall, they break stuff and we have to fix them. So the wealthy ones always winter where there is good medical care (i.e. not Mexico or the Bahamas). Most hang out in Texas, AZ, and FL. Oftentimes it's about this age when they stop going away for the winter because their health doesn't allow.

Sorry for rambling but I have planned my exit based on these observations.....This is why I now at 43, have sold my LOTO home, take 10-12 weeks off a year, am starting a charter business in Florida, and trying to figure out how to make more passive income so I can take more time off to do more boating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.