Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Paging Budman....possible job in Kentucky.... >

Paging Budman....possible job in Kentucky....

Notices

Paging Budman....possible job in Kentucky....

Old 09-26-2002, 05:57 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Budman....possible job in Kentucky....

Hey Tom, I am on a short list of people in line for a job as a Field Quality Engineer in the Kentucky area, including your plant. Just wondering what the economy is like down that way?? What are apartments going for?? Gas?? I'm not sure where I would have to live yet though.

Mike
Old 09-26-2002, 07:32 PM
Boating Fool

Foul,

what area/region of KY are you talking about.

Old 09-27-2002, 05:51 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I'm not 100% sure yet. They have not given that much detail on the position. I'm pretty sure the Louisville Ford Truck plant (where the heavy duty Fords are built....250, 350, 450, 550) and the Ranger plant also.
Old 09-27-2002, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Foul,

Tom is not on the board at the moment but let me chime in. I came down here from Mi. in 90 and I love it! You will find the Ohio river a pretty good place for boating when you can't make it to the Cumberland or Dale Hollow. Economy in Louisville is pretty good now and you will find housing to be much cheaper than in Mi. You can get a real nice place for a lot less. Apartments? You can rent a nice house for about 650 ( I may have one open soon) at about a 15 minute drive from the plant. Little to no traffic if you go to the East towards La Grange, Crestwood etc.

The weather down here is great. My first couple of years here people thought I was nuts runnning around in T-shirts and boating in November. You can usually get out in March and lay up around late November. Once you get used to North anything over 55 is warm! Fast horses, younger women and older whiskey is our moto! E-mail me if you need any more info. Better yet come on down and Tom and I will show ya the town.

Tim T
Old 09-27-2002, 06:42 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Thanks Tim. Tell the Stein man I say hi. None of this is anywhere near a sure thing. Like I said, still have to interview for the position....and that hasn't started yet. My company likes to drag it's feet on that sort of thing!!
Old 09-27-2002, 09:19 PM
Boating Fool

Foul,

If that is the case you're only about 3 hrs from KY Lake/Barkley Lake and not sure from Lake Cumberland. Plus you have the Ohio there. Evansville, IN is about 2 hrs away. I live close to Evansville and boat at KY Lake and on the ohio here. There are quite a few members that boat around here.

Matt

Old 09-30-2002, 11:20 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Thumbs up Come on down!

Mike,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - I had a pretty busy weekend and didn't get back on the board until this afternoon. Stuck in training classes all week, so my replies will be kind of sporadic.

I've lived here all my life, so I'm a bit biased, but I think Louisville is a great place to live. Maybe not as much to do as some bigger towns like Detroit, Chicago, etc., but none of the big city headaches like traffic, crime, high cost-of-living, etc. Our climate is pretty moderate compared to Michigan. Pretty commone to see highs in the mid-upper 50's in Jan/Feb, with the occasional warm spell thrown in. As Tim said, you can run your boat from March to November. Sept/Oct are probably some of the prime boating months around here. Usually dry with highs in the 70's & 80's.

Plenty of boating opportunities at the area lakes and rivers. Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow are both withing 3 hours of Louisville. Cumberland is more of a party lake, whereas DH is more camping & fishing oriented. I could not draw a direct comparison to LOTO, since I have not yet been down there, but I would say that the lake itself is comparable in size. Lots of nice coves for overnighting on your boat, too, if you like to do that sort of thing, and some very nice resorts, cabins, marinas, etc. Plus, there is Kentucky Lake, the Ohio River, and many nice smaller lakes to explore. No, there is no ocean or Lake Michigan, but you can get back up there in six hours - might even be able to entice Tim and I to join you once in awhile.

I think the local economy is doing pretty well in this area, relative to other parts of the country. For the most part we have been missed by the massive layoffs that have plagued other regions. As Tim said, you can still find some pretty good deals on housing around here.

Let me know if you are going to make a trip down here. Tim and I will do our best to show you some southern hospitality.

And yes, we do wear shoes around these parts!