Hockenjos boat company 35 foot cat

Notices

Hockenjos boat company 35 foot cat

Old 05-28-2016, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Hockenjos boat company 35 foot cat

Anyone knows the history? Really looks like a 31 chris cat. is it a splash? Is it a good old boat? Cabin entry in the middle instead of 2 on the sides... Is it really a 35 or a 31? Google does not seem to have any info on this company/ boat/ model...
Thanks!
Old 05-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I guess T2X should know a little bit on that subject...
Are you still around here T2X?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I learned over the weekend that Elbie Kronenberg passed away earlier this year. Elbie was one of the original 3 partners in Image Boat co. (with me and Don Lostumbo) when we created the Shadow Cat and Shadow 21 Vee.
Although we had a tempestuous relationship, Elbie helped a lot in my OPC career and was a key player in financing the Shadow projects. Elbie was a character and hard to figure sometimes, but his experience and marine industry connections were invaluable. Elbie could always be found prowling his beloved Hockenjos Boat Co. on Lake Hopatcong in NJ, and we had some fun times there. He was predeceased by his wife, Carol, who was one of the kindest people I ever met. He is survived by his son Mark, whose lifelong (40 years and counting) battle with cancer was the basis for our "Race for Life" concept back in the 70's, and younger son Eric.

In the end he fought the good fight and will be remembered as a colorful, unpredictable soul who made a difference and got a lot of talented people started in all aspects of the marine business.

May God grant him peace and a smooth ice boat ride with Carol in Heaven..

T2x
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...erg-r-i-p.html
Old 06-01-2016, 02:56 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There is no such thing as a Hockenjos Cat..to my knowledge. There are 30 foot Shadow Cats, designed by George Linder, built by Image Boat co. in NJ of which Hockenjos owner, Elbie Kronenberg was a one third partner with me and Don Lostumbo.

The Chris Cat was actually a modified "splash of the Shadow.... The Shadow cat came out two years before Chris Cat made a mold with George Linder's assistance, changes and permission.

There was a 36 foot Shadow Cat hull plug that I had destroyed in anger when the partnership broke up........ anything over 30 feet that we made later was under the Conquest name ......and Elbie (Hockenjos) had nothing to do with that company. Conquest belonged to me and Don Lostumbo. George Linder did the designs and Ken Adams did all the boat building....

Last edited by T2x; 06-01-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thanks T2X!

But I still need to know more!
someone was offering me what was supposed to be a chris cat, but registration says 35 foot and serial number KRG something, then found out thru help of OSO Elbie's story, and links with you so on and so forth. So my questions are mainly

is this really a 35 foot boat?
Make on registration paper is written CRCF wich I thought was a chris craft cat
since it is an 84 and there are Chris Cat in 84, got mixed between whatever the company name is between hockenjos, image and other and Chriscat
Is this boat a splash of a chris cat? it physically looks like it is, except the 35 if it is a 35
it's got the middle cabin entry instead of 1 on each side, doubt Chriscat had that option.
It got 2 seats on the sides of the boat just like most V's, even looks like bolster seats to me, wich i don't think i ever saw in a cat

so long story short, good boat? similar to chris cat? or it's a pig? cabin? or only race boat type of cabin with many reinforcement?

thanks for sharing your knowledge on that matter!
Old 06-01-2016, 03:47 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
thanks T2X!

But I still need to know more!
someone was offering me what was supposed to be a chris cat, but registration says 35 foot and serial number KRG something, then found out thru help of OSO Elbie's story, and links with you so on and so forth. So my questions are mainly

is this really a 35 foot boat?
Make on registration paper is written CRCF wich I thought was a chris craft cat
since it is an 84 and there are Chris Cat in 84, got mixed between whatever the company name is between hockenjos, image and other and Chriscat
Is this boat a splash of a chris cat? it physically looks like it is, except the 35 if it is a 35
it's got the middle cabin entry instead of 1 on each side, doubt Chriscat had that option.
It got 2 seats on the sides of the boat just like most V's, even looks like bolster seats to me, wich i don't think i ever saw in a cat

so long story short, good boat? similar to chris cat? or it's a pig? cabin? or only race boat type of cabin with many reinforcement?

thanks for sharing your knowledge on that matter!
KRG was the Shadow (actually Image Boat Co.) serial number prefix (again no such thing as a Hockenjos Cat).......George, Don and I left Shadow in late '82 or early'83 and started Conquest.......so I have no idea what was produced in 1984.... I have seen stretched versions of Chris Cats, Bajas , and others , so anything is possible.... To my knowledge only a handful of Shadows made it to Canada. The second SunKist race hull, a 30 footer, went to Lorne Leibel, and another 30 foot pleasure boat we sold to a wealthy guy in Toronto. That doesn't mean that other hulls weren't exported after we left, but Shadow sales fell considerably after our departure (options were abounding for buyers including Chris Cats, Cougars, Flite Cats, Skaters, and Conquests) to the point that Elbie wound up leasing the molds to some guy in South Jersey after closing up shop...Time waits for no one and cats were continually improving... The Shadow molds were stagnant and some of the hulls came out rushed, too light, or simply out dated. I have repeatedly said, that when given the choice in 2000 to buy a cat, I bought a Skater.... and left the Shadows behind. ( Although, I would love to have a few of our Conquests.... I love wood hulls)

Shadow cats did have middle cabin entry and bolster (drop down) seats. You could sit or stand if you desired.

That's about all I can give you....or at least all that I will...

Good luck

Last edited by T2x; 06-01-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff- people often mess up the length of these boats and add the length of drives on. If its a center door its a Shadow. Chris cat is side doors. However there are many splashes of these boats. Awesome did some and others so someone could have lenghtened one. Tape measure is the best way to check.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Is this the boat in question? It has been on Ebay a few times and I had the same questions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Chris-C...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 06-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes it is!
Old 06-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Is this the boat in question? It has been on Ebay a few times and I had the same questions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Chris-C...vip=true&rt=nc
Originally Posted by jeff32
Yes it is!
That's a 30 footer. Looks like a Chris Cat to me, but others say only the Shadows had center cabin entry. In any event, it looks beat to chit!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.