Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat. >

The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat.

Notices

The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I sold a boat to someone and this happened first time out I would cover the cost of the repair without thinking about it and go back to the original repairer and work on a deal to have them pay. the real bad guy here is the original repairer. Its their name that should be dragged through the mud, but only if they dont pay to fix it.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sue them all, and let a jury decide., was my first post, except that just doesn't work. If the former owner of the boat sold it the the dealership that sold it to the second buyer, there is no duty to disclose the work, if however, it is a consignment he might have a duty to disclose the repair work. Pretty sue the dealership has a commercial liability policy, and personally I think this would be the party to sue, at the very least they misrepresented the condition of the boat, whether to not they actually knew about the repairs.

Last edited by formula223; 06-07-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shepnic74
IMO the seller would have been better off not responding now he really sounds like a douche. If it where me and I had an honest repair done I would have at least tried to convey a sincere sign of regret for the troubles you are going through and at the very least pm'd you the info on the people who did the repairs. Hell if it were me and I paid for a shotty repair like that I would want everyone on the site to know who did it so they don't get screwed by the same place. Instead it looks like he's trying to set you up for a defamation suit to add insult to injury. Wow some people just suck. Really feel bad for you nuke

Oh and ps if I ever am in the market for a skater I will know who's name to make sure Was never on the title!!!!
If I had an honest repair done and then this came up I would be calling my fiberglass guy asking him wtf and telling him he needs to make this right.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Registered

If you had never seen this previous report, would you have called for a report yourself? You bet you would have. Seems this previous report showed up at an opportune time and added weight to buying the boat.. May be a coincidence, who knows. Ask yourself, who had the most to gain from this previous report?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by indysupra
If I had an honest repair done and then this came up I would be calling my fiberglass guy asking him wtf and telling him he needs to make this right.
I certainly hope that's what is going on behind the scenes right now. Sad part is, due to some of the names involved, and the way the whole survey was handled, I'm willing to bet at least 2 of the 3 people involved on the selling side knew about the quality of the repair work.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:37 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have said many times up here that Miami FL is one of the worst places for buying a jacked up boat and or jacked engine or both. Next IMO is LHC and West Texas

One example just last week - had boat owner stop by traveling thru with his newly bought used boat - had a survey done at the location the boat was but the engine was not scanned for the survey. I was referred to him thru his travels to stop in to have his engine scanned.

Anyways - 2004 496 HO he bought the boat on belief it had low hours on it - low and behold the scan showed 728 hours it. He said no way then i showed him the run history, a chit load of idle times and alot of WOT just what you do not want in a used engine. Told him you have to get these marine engines scanned and understanding of the scan by the person doing it.

the scan still had history faults showing and alot of sec's of overspeed faults, among other faults thru out with run times.

Anyways making a point how important it is to have your engines scanned by someone that knows what they are doing.

Last edited by BUP; 06-07-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

kilo, who did the repairs? It would be nice to know since we both know they were not well done. I think all on this forum deserve to know at least this much so they can avoid this repair shop. I have no ill intent with you, I just want to know who in their right mind could defame such an awesome boat.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:37 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figure this thread has generated enough heat, dealer will offer to meet buyer on repair costs provided thread gets removed or locked. Not saying that this has happened before but if it does I cant blame the buyer, 15K is real money!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealership has to know of this thread , previous stand up owner knows the story, but its pretty much crickets.
Hats off to the new owner telling his story and moving on!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Moral issues.

The broker made a profit conducting business. They are the biggest interested party and in my opinion, they have the most to lose. Their reputation is out here getting tarnished every time someone clicks on this thread.

If I operated a (large?) boat dealership, I would have jumped straight on this as soon as I heard about a problem. They should meet with the buyer and try to set things right. If that means travelling interstate, do it. They should be willing to risk part/all of their commission in order to rectify the issue.

Fix the problem with their customer first then if they believe the seller was at fault by not disclosing certain facts, they can pursue him afterwards.

To earn their commission, a broker does the following:

1). Works for the vendor to find a buyer
2). Offers a level of confidence to the buyer through his reputation. (Not a legal guarantee of any sort)

The broker has failed in one area. I think it would be nice if they spent some of their commission buying back a little buyer confidence.

Without prejudice, just another opinion..........

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 06-07-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.