Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat. >

The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat.

Notices

The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What scares me - This isn't a 50 MPH runabout. It's a 90 MPH wave crusher. How many times have we seen a boat take a hard hit and delaminate. This boat already had the penetrations it wouldn't have taken much of a hit to rip that hull right open. Say he had his kids on it for the day and were 3 miles out in the ocean( I used to take the SCARAB out 10 miles into Lake Michigan on a regular basis ) and hit a rogue wave and the boat sank in about 2 seconds due to the massive hole that the 90 MPH hit punched through the shoddy cover up
( it wasn't a repair )... That and everyone being thrown about due to the rapid stop because of said hole and water intrusion. I would be very afraid of a wrongful death lawsuit.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been on this forum off and on since 99'. Does this surprise anyone. "Standup guy" screws someone. Trick, National, Vorce, ect. I've been in SoFlo for 9 years it's the Wild West. I'm a USCG Master Offshore and this happens in high end stuff.... 112' Westport deals. Once money changes hands arms get short... This is it https://youtu.be/f95abQuPXaw
Old 06-08-2016, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 540 Likes on 330 Posts

So sorry to hear about this Nuke,

Would you have pics of the repair job at Terry’s Marine?

Maybe another good thing that comes out of this is that Terry’s Marine does a fabulous job and gets new additional business for their fiberglass work and to record the correct fixes that is being done here.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:46 AM
Registered

Problem is we have a whole new group of enthusiast that have no knowledge of the heritage of the legends or the sport. Read "Blue Thunder". Unfortunately allot of the success or cash flow from some icons/brands early on we're derived from SFlo was from drug money. With that an inherent decent to be shady. Let's be honest. Thats the industries skeleton in the closet. I've been around this as long as anybody.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:39 AM
Registered

I'm guessing kilo spent the exact amount of money he wanted to spend in "repair" job..I can hear how that conversation went now .

Otherwise I'm sure we or at least nuke would have seen the invoice
Old 06-08-2016, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 570 Likes on 237 Posts

Is the bottom of a NT a paper thin laminate over a core?
Old 06-08-2016, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Problem is a big marina can have a big effect on a surveyors income. Especially if they don't like a report on one of their boats.
Big marina in a small area also.....
Old 06-08-2016, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
Dealership has to know of this thread , previous stand up owner knows the story, but its pretty much crickets.
Hats off to the new owner telling his story and moving on!
They're most likely waiting on further advice from legal teams on how to further screw the buyer....
Old 06-08-2016, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
What scares me - This isn't a 50 MPH runabout. It's a 90 MPH wave crusher. How many times have we seen a boat take a hard hit and delaminate. This boat already had the penetrations it wouldn't have taken much of a hit to rip that hull right open. Say he had his kids on it for the day and were 3 miles out in the ocean( I used to take the SCARAB out 10 miles into Lake Michigan on a regular basis ) and hit a rogue wave and the boat sank in about 2 seconds due to the massive hole that the 90 MPH hit punched through the shoddy cover up
( it wasn't a repair )... That and everyone being thrown about due to the rapid stop because of said hole and water intrusion. I would be very afraid of a wrongful death lawsuit.
THIS!! For those of you who have been to LOTO, there are PLENTY of waves from big cruisers that can crush a hull. From the looks of that strake, it was a ticking time bomb, just waiting to delam. This very scenario could have taken place, and then we wouldn't be talking about a repair bill, rather a funeral bill. You don't throw a patch on a 180 mph rated tire!!
Old 06-08-2016, 07:59 AM
Registered

No you use one of those push in plugs so you don't have to take the tire of the rim everyone knows that duh!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.