Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat. >

The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat.

Notices

The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate it for you, but at the end of this you'll have a solid, georgeous boat! It's a sweet ride!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Some of the pics show multiple layers of filler/gelcoat/filler/gelcoat, making this look like a recurring problem. Even though this was a hack repair, it usually identifies a problem that even if repaired with the best materials, by the best 'glass guys, may come back to visit. It would be nice to know if the initial damage was a design/manu/material flaw , or poor support(trailer, lift,ect.). Good Luck!!!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
Some of the pics show multiple layers of filler/gelcoat/filler/gelcoat, making this look like a recurring problem. Even though this was a hack repair, it usually identifies a problem that even if repaired with the best materials, by the best 'glass guys, may come back to visit. It would be nice to know if the initial damage was a design/manu/material flaw , or poor support(trailer, lift,ect.). Good Luck!!!
I agree, I'd want to know what the heck happened to the boat. If it's a manufacturer's flaw, I'd think it would be covered by a hull warranty. I guess the question would be is there a way to determine what caused it.....delamenation from the factory, impact, storage issue, dropped etc.

Regardless, I'd want to know what happened. If this thread sticks around, resale is going to cost way more than what this repair cost.....
Old 06-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
I agree, I'd want to know what the heck happened to the boat. If it's a manufacturer's flaw, I'd think it would be covered by a hull warranty. I guess the question would be is there a way to determine what caused it.....delamenation from the factory, impact, storage issue, dropped etc.

Regardless, I'd want to know what happened. If this thread sticks around, resale is going to cost way more than what this repair cost.....
No idea but this is pure speculation. Once the boat is fixed and I use it and there are no issues I will consider it 100% fixed. Terry has been in contact with Nor-Tech about the repairs to ensure we are doing it the way Nor Tech would do it if I sent it to them. I have total confidence once I receive the boat back there will be no issues.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I apologize for being a downer. I'm sure Terry is going to do a great job , just dont want to see him called out if issues arise in the future ( Im a glass guy/marine tech or 30+ years and have dealt with this exact problem myself on one of my personal boats. The manufacturer utilized materials they were not familiar with and a different lamination schedule resulting in a bottom that flexed too much and cracked at all stiff areas) ) .Being the seller only owned the boat six months when these issues arose , NT may have done the initial repairs his glass guy attempted to fix.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
I apologize for being a downer. I'm sure Terry is going to do a great job , just dont want to see him called out if issues arise in the future ( Im a glass guy/marine tech or 30+ years and have dealt with this exact problem myself on one of my personal boats. The manufacturer utilized materials they were not familiar with and a different lamination schedule resulting in a bottom that flexed too much and cracked at all stiff areas) ) .Being the seller only owned the boat six months when these issues arose , NT may have done the initial repairs his glass guy attempted to fix.
No worries. I didn't mean you are out of line with the question. But, if you look at the one picture of the wavy gel with the crack in it (think it shows up first in the photobucket file) it's blatantly obvious it was a crappy repair job. So I am confident it will be the best it can be, and like I stated earlier, if issues arise later, time to talk with NT and get some answers on what needs to be done. Terry will NOT be a contributor to any future issues, I can garauntee this.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:31 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a shame. Feel so sorry for you. You would think people or businesses would be more concerned about their Reputation. Just the fact that they said it wasn't their problem bothers me. I don't live in that area but I would never buy anything thru that establishment ever. Nor let anybody I know do it. Just the fact that they said wasn't their problems makes me feel like they have a bit of guilt somewhere or knowledge of the problem. You'll get it fixed and have a lot of fun with her I'm sure. Just go out and have fun when you get her back.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

The survey part of this industry and their relationships with dealers is a joke.

Sorry for your situation. Hopefully you'll be enjoying the water soon.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ben
Saw it sticking out of Terry's shop on Sunday, hope you get it back soon looks like an awesome boat!
Thanks! Anyone that down at the lake that drives HWY W by Terry's stop in and take a look. Terry is a great guy and would take a break to talk to you a give you his opinion on the situation.. But don't stay too long, I need him working!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM
ben
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuke427
Thanks! Anyone that down at the lake that drives HWY W by Terry's stop in and take a look. Terry is a great guy and would take a break to talk to you a give you his opinion on the situation.. But don't stay too long, I need him working!
Thanks, I'll be stopping by now that you gave me the ok to bother him!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.