Our declining hobby...sad days >

Our declining hobby...sad days

Notices

Our declining hobby...sad days

Old 06-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Offshore powerboats are expensive and selfish.
I love 'em but they keep going up in price and most of them can carry 5-6 people with little room to move around on board. Truthfully, all they are good for is motoring around, often at high speed, burning fuel.

Every other style of boat has a more useful purpose. Cruisers carry a few more people slowly with loads of luxurious amenities for entertaining. Sports boats for wake boarding and water sports. Toons for relaxing in groups and meandering around the river. Centre consoles for fishing and now adapting to a cross-over role.

The offshore stuff has the most expensive power plants with more expertise required on costly maintenance. Love them or hate them, they are the most impractical of all. Couple that to the younger generations having more interest in hi-tech phones, social media, throw in the anti cancer brigade (I am a minor victim of skin cancer), add the number of jobless, allow for the general state of the economy worldwide, it's not surprising boat numbers are going south with offshore performance stuff hardest hit.

The forum will either adapt or get smaller. My bet, it will adapt and I think the first stage will be sections for centre consoles. Every CC related thread on here reveals more and more CC owners coming out of the woodwork.

Times are changing, practical low maintenance boats are taking the market share.

My 2 cents worth....

RR
Old 06-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
The answer is simple- globalization... there's no real middle class any more and boating is an expensive hobby.
Without access to good paying jobs, boating is only a dream for many.
Corporations rule, and they know that to improve their bottom line jobs need to be done in other countries by people willing to work for much less.
If the jobs are done here they are mostly automated.
Correct...totally.

It has to be scary for young people these days.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Correct...totally.

It has to be scary for young people these days.
Not just for young people try to be a over 50 white guy. Companies hate us.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:26 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Can a moderator delete this thread ? Too damn depressing.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

One would think if the hobby is so depressed, nice clean boats would be at "giveaway" prices. The exact opposite is the case as far as I can tell.
We see this downturn of interest in the musclecar hobby talked about on a weekly basis, but.so far nobody is giving those away either.
Weird.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Not just for young people try to be a over 50 white guy. Companies hate us.
While I'm not 50 I do feel that the black on white racism I saw in high school has reached the professional world also. Just today a black guy walk into the restraunt I was in with a shirt on that read "caution: educated black man". Now if I wore that shirt that read white instead of black I would be the biggest fu!king racist prick around. But because of how out of control this country is that is "hilarious" for a black man to
Wear that. If I was black and saw another one of "my" people wearing that I would tell them what a fu!k they were. I can't imagine what it would feel like to be at my prime, have put on a ton of good years to a company only to watch a under qualified minority take my job because the white vs minority ratio was "off".
Old 06-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

I've yet to comprehend paying a half million dollars for a boat that has a porta potty and cannot be kept in the water for fear of transom or stringer failure.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate life without being on the water. I have contemplated buying a small something or other just to get me out there. Heck, even thought about an inflatable fishing boat from Academy. I think people would like to be able to boat, but having to work multiple jobs or the type of jobs that pay enough, well there is just no time. Only time will tell where things go. I like the CCs, but the wife does not. Care to guess what I won't be buying?
Old 06-12-2016, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If only we can get rid of this bad monkey on our back. No influence on you.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Hell anything remotely affordable by the average young to learn how to work on boats and get his feet wet is being snatched up and cannibalized for parts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.