Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sunsation Suspending Sportboat Production In Favor Of Performance Center Consoles >

Sunsation Suspending Sportboat Production In Favor Of Performance Center Consoles

Notices

Sunsation Suspending Sportboat Production In Favor Of Performance Center Consoles

Old 06-13-2016, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Wayne and Joe are smart guys who have been building boats for 30+ years. While it might kill egos to make boats that don't rumble, they will certainly rather be busy than trying to change the buyers minds. Go with what buyers want and get the paycheck on Friday.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I can't and won't blame them for building what sells but dam it hurts. The good news is that if things turn back to the traditional go fast they will still be in business and ready to rock.

Padraig
Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Good news, they're slammed with orders and employing locals. Growth is ahead of them and is well deserved. The downturn crushed them. They deserve a resurgence. Besides, if money is put on the table and the buyer is willing to wait I'm sure they would put it into the build schedule.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,
Every time I go to TNT to put my boat in the water I see a new set of new triple or quad 400 HP Verados. Is the 400 HP mark going to hold for a while? Is Mercury able to move their staff from building IO's to outboards?
Sorry if you have covered this before and I missed it.
Thanks Brad
Old 06-13-2016, 09:05 PM
Registered

I dont really see the appeal in the center consoles. To each his own I guess.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Well we'd kinda figured this out in another thread a couple of weeks ago but now it's official.
Whilst we'd all like to think go fast boats will live for ever, I'm pleased for the team at Sunsation for reading the signs. Their own admission, haven't built a performance boat for two years but they're sold out of centre consoles until next year.

I doubt the original plan at Sunsation ever included center consoles but times change and business decisions rule. Do you think Reggie ever planned to build centre consoles in the early days? Same applies to Cigarette, Donzi and I'm sure many more. Did Ferdinand Porsche ever think there would be a family SUV in the line-up? McDonald's didn't have chicken nuggets in the early days either!

I hope with one less active player in the sports boat market, it will become an even tighter niche market and continue to be profitable for the remainder.

RR
Attached Thumbnails Sunsation Suspending Sportboat Production In Favor Of Performance Center Consoles-image.jpeg  
Old 06-14-2016, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
F4 and the 36 both must have cost them a bundle and I would bet they didn't built 25 boats total between the two. The F4 was done during boom times so they probably didn't do too bad on that one but the 36 must have really sucked as far as ROI.
I was there start to finish on the creation of the F-4. There is waaaaaay more invested in the development of that boat/molds than the 36. Way more.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I was there start to finish on the creation of the F-4. There is waaaaaay more invested in the development of that boat/molds than the 36. Way more.
the 36 they worked with Tres on steps etc. but basically stretched the 32 right? same size cabin but the cockpit got some needed room along with the staggered engines
Old 06-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Registered

I also stepped from the performance market into the center market. I know it is hard for some to understand to the big move popularity move toward the sport centers that is until you ride in one. It is a boat that meets all the needs and maximizes comfort for all the passengers. They are not the old fish centers from the past by any stretch!
Old 06-14-2016, 12:43 PM
Registered

Glad to see there busy, hard working and great guys who put out a very nice product that they stand behind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.