Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
502 MAG Lost 4 Quarts of oil in a hour long run...any ideas?? >

502 MAG Lost 4 Quarts of oil in a hour long run...any ideas??

Notices

502 MAG Lost 4 Quarts of oil in a hour long run...any ideas??

Old 06-13-2016, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They make a UV oil dye. Add some to your oil and Go run it for a bit. Use a UV light to chase it down to the source. It could be a oil line to a loose oil filter. Check your oil pres sending unit I had one crack .
Old 06-13-2016, 08:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
tidewater, what speeds do you typically see? Also intake gasket could be pushing oil out. Lots of places to look.
Mid 50'S cruise mid 70'S top
Old 06-13-2016, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen dip sticks blow up and out or completely out. Cylinders worn, out of round. Valve seats leaking by. Valve guides worn and oil going out the exhaust. Dye check as others stated for leaks. Compression and or leak down test will give you better info and direction to go.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be curious if it is a cracked hose. Only leaks once it gets hot. Then the hose expanded and starts leaking. Or I would take the filter off and make sure it doesn't have 2 gaskets. Sometimes the old gaskets stays on the housing and people forget to take it off when putting the new filter on.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:19 AM
Registered

There were 4 quarts of oil in the engine compartment, the oil isn't being burnt.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DBleil89
I would be curious if it is a cracked hose. Only leaks once it gets hot. Then the hose expanded and starts leaking. Or I would take the filter off and make sure it doesn't have 2 gaskets. Sometimes the old gaskets stays on the housing and people forget to take it off when putting the new filter on.
A lot of things change with load and heat. I kinda doubt it's blow by cause it happened all at once right? I would think if it was worn rings or some other internal failure it wouldn't have gone from not leaking to loosing 4qts in an hour of run time. I'm thinking something in the remote oil system (lines between block filter housing and oil cooler) is expanding with heat and leaking so +1 on the uv die or possibly a bilge camera to figure it out
Old 06-14-2016, 07:27 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

They are ust going by the OP's descriptions.

40-50psi oil psi is 40-50psi oil pressure. Doesn't matter if at idle/low speeds vs 4k rpm and up. We are talking leaks that see oil psi here.

So, crankcase pressure will rise as the rpm's go up, throttle get's opened, and more power get's made. This is why when someone's dipstick get's pushed out it will happen under these circumstances. Worn rings, or even worse broken ring land, will do this. Oil dipstick tube to oil pan is closest to oil level, and if it isn't sealing right, and higher crankcase pressure..it will leak bad. This is what people are saying above...not that the oil is being burnt.

I vote for the dye also....if the OP has looked everywhere as much as possible.
Clean oil and black motors canmake some leaks hard to find.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:51 AM
Registered

Ask a mechanic to perform a leak down test. You should have done this before you bought the boat.

I have a suspicion it will tell you what many here have surmised.

Uncle Dave
Old 06-14-2016, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Check the rear of the intake manifold where it meets the block. They will puke oil out of there if the gasket does not seal properly, not uncommon if rubber gasket is used instead of sealer. Only will puke if under load, oil will be sprayed all over inside transom. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:09 AM
Registered

Dye It..but check the oil filters,might have a double oring on one or maybe a loose one..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.