Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat mechanic dilemma, may need recommendation for another mechanic. >

Boat mechanic dilemma, may need recommendation for another mechanic.

Notices

Boat mechanic dilemma, may need recommendation for another mechanic.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nickens has always done great work and have built several marine motors around the area, my guy I used to pull and re-install the motors is where the problem is. As far as I know the motor we rebuilt is in and just not firing up, I'm finding out that all these people who recommended him had small jobs done. Another guy at the marina suggested I haul my boat to Clear Lake to finish the job with his "trusted and great mechanic" then was told his guy has a reputation for making motors disappear and taking high dollar parts off customers motors and replacing with junk. How hard can it be to honestly find a good no nonsense mechanic in the Lake Conroe area? Ill see what the next week brings and how this saga unfolds then I'll fill you guys in on who did my work. Everyone around the area knows him and has used him at some point it seems but he has very mixed reviews, one of his long time customers told me he would def take care of me on the price since its taking so long and he's doing quicker smaller jobs that come in after me and getting them out door. Last I was told my bill was around 1,700 for the motor pulled and reinstalled, all fluids changed, new plugs and wires and some small drive work he was doing while it was off. I think he was replacing the bellows, gimble or gimble housing something like that.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:06 PM
Registered

My lawyer said to get an itemized list of whats been done on the boat since Sept, two guys in Conroe said they would go over his work to make sure all work I'm being charged for was performed. The 1,000 to take out and install the engine seems to be ok rate, one mechanic told me today he took one out of a 29' Formula two weeks ago and it took 6 hours. Also said that is it takes the guy 2 days or 2 months the rate should still be the same because its not a complicated job. I am just so baffled as to why its almost July and a job we started in Sept that was only suppose to take 2-3 days max is still not complete
Old 06-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Registered

Sorry for your situation, I think we all can relate to it. Over the years I have come to realize that if you think something is not quite right, 99% of the time you are correct.
I would say drop by the shop sooner rather than later.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Registered

I'm gonna drop by this week, he works off his land in Conroe area. Usually has 3-6 boats around he's working on, I can't fathom whats going on at this point. He told me with the engine in and out and all the small odds and ends it would be right around 2k for the whole job, maybe he doesn't need the money? I was told by one of his former customers that he is doing other small jobs and still pushing mine to the side to get others done. Another former customer told me he thinks he is a pill head because most his jobs need to be gone over by other mechanics to fix small issues. Wish I knew all this before he got on my job. A friend who isn't in boating says he thinks he is gonna try to gouge me and charge for a ton of hours that he was sitting inside watching TV. I have no idea whats going on for sure but I know he's not touching my boat. Every local mechanic I have spoken to said there is absolutely zero reason for my motor to have sat a month waiting to be picked up and even if he is doing full job his self half drunk working half days it still shouldn't take more than 4-5 days no excuses. We could have refurbished the whole boat in the time its taking him to do this small install.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're a lot more trusting than me , I'd have been on his doorstep long before now. I hope you still have a boat and engines! This is beyond bad business and if referred on here do others a favor and name him once you've recovered yor boat. Hope all goes well for you.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Pick 'em up and get 'em the heck out of there. Name him so no one else gets screwed. Take you losses and move on. You're going to miss half the season best case scenario.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Pick 'em up and get 'em the heck out of there. Name him so no one else gets screwed. Take you losses and move on. You're going to miss half the season best case scenario.
Agree! Go get it, move on, get it done and done right.